Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

My first elk. Dec. 27.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:30 PM
Typical Buck

BS has a very short shelf life around here. LOL

Off to the dumpster with this one !!
Old 12-30-2013, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
BS has a very short shelf life around here. LOL

Off to the dumpster with this one !!

***I hope so!!! A running shot at 500 yards---yikes!!!
Old 12-30-2013, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've shot about 25 elk myself and have been in on the taking of around 100 others. Elk are tough and I have always went by the theory of shooting again if it is still on it's feet. It seems to me that by turning your attention to another animal and shooting while it is running can easily lead to having 2 wounded elk to deal with.

You can brag about the gun and the shooter being capable but that doesn't negate the fact that the elk being shot deserved better. Bad form in my humble opinion.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gotta love the internet!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2013, 01:20 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jerry d
Gotta love the internet!!!!!!
If it's the superhighway for information it must be the JFK Airport for BS.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:00 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
1---Baloney!!! The rifle might be a tack driver on paper, but that doesn't mean squat when shooting a running animal at 500 yards. You dang sure aren't shooting AT the animal at that yardage to hit it when it's running!
2---IMHO the other pictures served no purpose, but to each his own.
3---That's nice!

Now as to your retort about him not knowing where it was hit. You didn't either at 600 yards and if was standing there that long IMHO it should have immediately been shot again without waiting for another animal to be wacked at running before finishing the job. As Big Uncle stated in his post, not only does stuff like this make me cold, but it also shows a lack of respect for both animals in this case! No need to reply because you've already proved with your other answers that you aren't among the biggest percentage of hunters by doing what you did. I wonder which animal went down that was running compared to what was being attempted at that distance.
This rifle has a muzzle break and has very minimal recoil. It's like shooting a .223 Rem. The animal never left my scope when the shot went off and I also had a friend watching through binoculars, so yes we all knew where she was hit (behind the shoulder done deal). Also when I skinned it out you could clearly see the entrance wound, so again I do know where all 3 shots hit. At the 500 yard mark there were 3 elk running. The front one being a yearling, the middle one being an adult cow, the back one being a yearling. My dad picked out the big one in the middle and she dropped. There you have it lol there was no wondering which one he hit when the middle one dropped. I'm sure taking long shots may not be accepted everywhere; however, in my area of the world it's becoming more accepted every day with the technology and equipment available to hunters. As to your reply about "not aiming AT the animal running at that distance" clearly a good lead was required. Opinions are like *******s, everyone has one. I respect your opinion, but I don't remember asking for it? I also have my own opinions on ethics and I reserve the right to have it Happy New Year
Old 12-31-2013, 02:08 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by finnbear
What gave me pause was, who the heck goes hunting with one rifle for two people??
BUT I will cal BS on the 15 to 20 seconds from son shooting to father taking rifle adjusting BDC shooting watching elk fall, handing rifle back son readjusting BDC back to 600 yds and shooting again................plus why take the time to fiddle with the turret when you are in a ever changing range situation???
I would think that we are getting what is a spiced up version, that this individual thinks we want to hear to make it more exciting!
Best hunt I had was when the elk walked within 75yds of the suburban as we were getting out! Dropped within 50yds of the rd. great hunt!!!!!!
OMG you must be one of those road hunters! People in my area frown on that type of thing. Shooting from roads hahaha brutal. Just kidding of course! You know I usually wouldn't pipe up with my opinion regarding the elk you killed near the road, but since you gave me you're opinion on the elk I shot at 600 yards there you have it We both had our own rifles. I use a model 70 7mm Rem Mag, my dad carries a model 70 300 H&H; however, we only have the one custom rifle with a long range scope for those long distance opportunities. Of course we need to take the time to turn up and down turret at different ranges, otherwise you would be guessing the point of impact at different ranges. Are you familiar with Huskema optics and how they work? Look into them, because they will change the way you look at long distance shooting. Best of the West on the outdoor channel isn't BS those boys know what they are doing and also what the equipment they use is capable of.

Last edited by moosehunter30; 12-31-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:16 PM
Typical Buck

I never posted this with the intention of starting an ethics war. Nothing anyone says will change my personal ethics in terms of hunting. I hunt within the legalities of my provinces Wildlife Act and at the end of the day that's what matters. If you don't agree with something someone posts then ignore it. It's much like immigrants moving to a country and then complaining about how it's so much different than their country. If you don't like the country you immigrated to then leave! If you don't like a thread then move on! No reason to start an argument with a stranger on the internet while hiding behind the safety of your keyboards. I wish everyone a happy New Year and see you in the field next hunting season
Old 12-31-2013, 02:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

BS to all your posts Sir! We don't give a flying flock how good you or your Dad can shoot ANY rifle at any distance on paper. You do whatever you want, but please know that you're in a small minority of people that would shoot at any animal running at 500 yards. Yep, that shot requred a lead just like a flying bird and all it was to hit at that distance was a GUESS. The guess turned out as a vital hit and it was PURE LUCK, so don't say there was any skill involved. Yes, there's a lot of long range shooting getting started, BUT it dang sure isn't at runing game and I know all about the scope you used and all the other ones that have adjustable turrets. Your retorts that you came back with were as bad as your initial post detailing how you shot those two animals, no ifs, ands, or buts! Put crappola out on the internet, especially a well respected hunting website like this and you better be prepared for more of what you just got in response from ethical hunters! PS: When you watch any Best of the West or other long range shooting shows that are on the TV and you see them shooting a running animal please come back and tell us because there has yet to be one and I watch them all!!! Until then, please think before you post this kind of stuff because you will get a negative reaction and posts every time even if you don't ask for them. Hunters need to stick together to keep our "house" clean and IMHO you dirtied it doing what you did and posting it up! Also, I'm not hiding behind a keyboard and I'll give you my name and address any time you'd care to come down and discuss this face to face, as I dang sure ain't wasting time and money to come up and talk with you after those last three posts!!!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-31-2013 at 06:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-31-2013, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

OH mr moosey you done did it now... not only are you a liar and a idiot, you make fun of calling me a road hunter....how does me driving up parking and getting out pulling all my kit out and shouldering my pack and gun and then have a bunch of elk walk by equate to me being a road hunter????? I think that was a pretty lucky day for me... I did NOT shoot from the road yes I was near the road, but I was not in my vehicle nor did I spot the animal from my rig!!! You just continually dig a bigger and messier hole for your lies!!! BUT I can show you my Disabled persons permit if you'd like to see it!!! You really should maybe stop and think a bit before ya post here, you know nothing about us, BUT you continually enlighten us about your up bringing and moral compass....I'm sure your dad is real proud!!!!! you are starting to sound like a kid that was in here ....what was his mname??? Genesis or some such come in here braggin about the 400yd head shot he made on his elk, and then got upset when we called BS on him!!!! I'm done with this idiot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.