Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Wyoming Best place to move* live * hunt >

Wyoming Best place to move* live * hunt

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wyoming Best place to move* live * hunt

Old 12-07-2013, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

In my little town in WY I can leave my truck unlocked and running outside a store on a cold day if I want to keep the heat running. Why? We just don't have thugs (of any color) walking around looking for things to steal. That's the only point that is being made here.
We all know where the thugs live and how the demographics break down. You can acknowledge the reality or deny it but the reality remains.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Wyoming does have a low crime rate and is a great state BUT stating the low crime rate is due to a small % of the population being black is pretty ignorant. If that concept were true, one might expect a majority of violent crimes to be committed by blacks in Wyoming and that simply isn't so (see quote and link to Wiki article below). For homicides specifically, 1.7% more of them are committed by blacks as opposed to white but each group commits almost half of the homicides for which suspect(s) are arrested. But in each of the other violent crimes categories, white clearly commit a higher % of the crimes than blacks.

According to population data from the website USA.com (see link below), just over 90% of Wyoming's population is white, less than 1% is black and almost 9% is Hispanic. According to the statistics, the Hispanic population is apparently not very violent.

http://www.usa.com/wyoming-state-pop...-and-races.htm

***EDIT NOTE*** This quote from Wiki is for arrest statistics for the entire country, NOT just Wyoming.***

Characteristics of offenders vary from the average for specific types of crimes and specific crimes.

In terms of violent crime by gender, in 2011, 80.4% of arrested persons were male and 19.6% were female.[19] Males were 88.2% of those arrested for homicide, while females were 11.8%.[19] Among those arrested for rape in 2011, males were 98.8% and females were 1.2%.[19] For property crime in 2011, 62.9% of arrested persons were male and 37.1% were female.[19]

For violent crime by race in 2011, 59.4% of those arrested were white, 38.3% were black, and 2.2% were of other races.[23] For persons arrested for homicide in 2011, 49.7% were black, 48% were white, and 2.3% were of other races.[23] For persons arrested for rape in 2011, 65% were white, 32.9% were black, and 2.1% were of other races.[23] For property crime in 2011, 68.1% of arrested persons were white, 29.5% were black, and 2.4% were of other races.[23]

In 2011, law enforcement reported 6,222 bias-motivated incidents, known as hate crimes, for which 5,731 offenders were identified.[24] Of these, 59% were white, 20.9% were black, 7.1% were of various races, 1.4% were Asian or Pacific Islanders, 0.8% were Native American, and 10.8% were of unknown race.[24]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States

Last edited by CalHunter; 12-07-2013 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Clarification of quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Looks to me like the statistics chart put up for Wyoming by Calhunter shows EXACTLY what has been said by a couple of the other members! If the black population is less than 1% and the Hispanic population is 9% the actual crime ratios stated compared to their % of the population would suggest just what has been mentioned and that is the REALITY of the US today!!! What would the percentages be if the population of those of color were a lot higher than 1 and 9 percent? The answer is that they would probably mirror the hugely significant numbers that we see everywhere else when the minority population is a lot higher. How can you say anything different when you look at those stats or does living on the left coast give a completely different perspective like everything else that seems to happen out there? Please don't take this post as being racist, as all I'm saying is look at those numbers, digest them as to what has been previously stated by other members, and you can't disagree with what I've stated.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-07-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

Well, according to the stats posted by CalHunter, you probably want to live in a state without any men in it: "Males were 88.2% of those arrested for homicide, while females were 11.8%.[19] Among those arrested for rape in 2011, males were 98.8% and females were 1.2%.[19]." That's the problem with statistics; sometimes you can't take them at face value. I wouldn't want to live in a poor, inner city, neighborhood no matter the prevailing race of the inhabitants. But, I also would not generalize from my desire to avoid such neighborhoods to draw conclusions about entire groups of people.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Murdy---Your last sentence hits on what I was about to post when I got interrupted and had to leave the desk for awhile. No matter what the stats show about the minority population percentages there are still a lot of darn good folks out there. I've lived next to them, bunked with them in the service, hunted with them, and color was of no significance. It's just like everything else in that a few rotten apples in the barrel spoil things for the ones that are good.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

You guys are both right. The "percentages" quoted in the Wiki article are for the entire country (not just Wyoming) and they don't tell the entire story. I was unable to find a database that showed how many violent crimes were committed by which race against which race in Wyoming (or any other state for that matter). every database I looked at showed that Wyoming has an incredibly low amount of violent crime committed each year (anywhere from 400 to 1100-ish) but none of the databases showed how many or what % of those violent crimes were committed by blacks. Theoretically, each of the few murders committed in Wyoming could have been committed by whites only. On a numerical level, that is entirely possible.

On a purely anecdotal level (I've "heard" this before but haven't seen it cited anywhere), I have heard that most crimes committed by blacks are committed against other blacks. In a "nationwide" grouping, it would stand to reason that most of those black committed crimes must obviously be committed in large urban areas and not somewhere in the country or suburbs.

In summary, I can't disprove easyshoot's deleted statement but I wasn't able to find any proof to support it either. After spending an hour google-searching, I don't think easyshoot will find proof or evidence to support his theory either IMHO.

Now on a more important note, exactly how does this residential "more than one tag" thing work??
Old 12-08-2013, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

Yep. Leave it to the libs to throw the race card at ya!!
I lived in St. Louis and Chicago. If you think your always safe? Who are you kidding?
I guess you have never been called "cracker a$& why you in Our neighborhood" or have been threatened with violence or had family attacked.
You keep imaging your fairy tale.
Did you also fall for the Obama lie?
Old 12-08-2013, 06:35 AM
Typical Buck

Have to admit that I didn't catch the black comment at first. Had to go back and find it.

My move here had nothing to do with demographics of the skin color, and I have black friends here in Cheyenne - a couple are coming to dinner on Saturday, in fact - and don't care what skin color they have actually.

I have noticed the low number of idiots, though. I have lived in Phoenix, San Diego, Los Angeles (just for work), and close to San Bernardino (if you have ever watched "Cops" you have seen it!), and hate cities. They breed idiots for some reason. I feel that most of the locals here are good with the low idiot ratio, and live here for that reason. Or, they are in the Air Force.

Black - white - Mexican - whatever - doesn't bother me. City - entitled - rude - selfish - bother me. Not much of that here.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:58 AM
Typical Buck

We can argue crime stats and what ethnic group is the most likely to commit a violent crime against you all day long. Let's set that debate aside and get right down to common sense and the basic truth we all know.

You are traveling across the country in your car with your wife and young children. The car starts acting up and you know you are going to have to exit the freeway right away and find a repair shop in a town you are unfamiliar with.

Would you rather have this happen in St. Louis....... or Cheyenne ?
We all probably answered the same on that one for one easy reason. And it's not because car repairs are cheaper in St. Louis.

We all live in the same world and watch the same news. Let's quit massaging data and acknowledge what we all know is true.

Last edited by Bullcamp82834; 12-08-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:02 AM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up not racist

Originally Posted by mt hunt
I have lived in several cities; Los Angeles, St. Louis and have traveled to a few " Black" Countries without issue. My take is the attitude toward others is often what you receive back. Having lived in Wyoming as well I can tell you it certainly is not crime free. There are plenty of cases and statistics of White folks and crime in that state as well. I live here in MT. for probably many of the same reasons as you; however playing the blame game for what goes on in our country does not help the root issues. I'm not saying you have to like everyone, but having some basic decency and not fulling the fire with low brow scatter gun comments that all black people are trouble and using the "N' word can go a long way to helping the issue instead of continuing it. Peace.
I grew up with blacks, went to school with them. Not all bad, but will i trust them ,NO. tell your thoerey to the people minding there own bussines going to work. getting knocked out on a polar bear hunt.I won't go out of my way to hurt or disrespect a black person, but I will not trust or live by them. So if it wasn't for the snow i would love to live in Wyoming. Seem they use the thinking processe in how they live . They don't stick there heads in the ground and think it will go away. I hunted there once and loved it. So please don't attack some one who lives there for there beleafs. There intitled to it to.

Last edited by troutbum; 12-08-2013 at 07:09 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.