Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
What to expect from an elk guide >

What to expect from an elk guide

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What to expect from an elk guide

Old 11-18-2013, 11:24 AM
Spike

Default What to expect from an elk guide

I'm booked on my 1st. and probably only elk hunt for October 2014. It is a fully guided hunt 1 on 1. My question is what should I expect from the guide? Equipment: Should he have binoculars, spotting scope, range finder, wind detection, calls etc. Should I be expected to have this equipment also (not including binoculars)? I realize I should have asked these questions before booking.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:38 AM
Spike

My guess is you could call him and find out? You are paying for the hunt after all
Old 11-18-2013, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Him, everything to do his job:
- binoculars
- calls
- compass/gps
- tools to get elk out of the woods
- transportation
- smarts on how to find and call elk

You, tools to do your job:
- bow/gun and the ability to use it well
- conditioning, GET IN SHAPE
- binoculars - you can help him glass
- range finder, if calling he won't be with you at the shot, but probably behind you
- tools to help him get the elk out (see "get in shape")
- all clothes needed: boots, camo, warm clothes etc.

Contact the outfitter for an equipment list
Old 11-18-2013, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by freerorbust
my guess is you could call him and find out? You are paying for the hunt after all

+1

Old 11-18-2013, 09:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Freerorbust
My guess is you could call him and find out? You are paying for the hunt after all
Actually you should have asked all those questions before you ever sent a check for the deposit. The only guides I've ever went with in North America were in Canada for the 3 trips I've made there. I was in contact with them several times and I asked a whole bunch of questions about gear, typical hunting day, optics, level of physical conditioning required, vehicles, food, airport pickup, success levels, weather, I always asked for referrals and anything else I could imagine.

You should have been given some sort of contract that spells everything out. If you didn't, you may have an issue since you obviously don't know what is being provided.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
Actually you should have asked all those questions before you ever sent a check for the deposit.
precisely

good luck
Old 11-19-2013, 03:58 AM
Typical Buck

Most guides will have all they need to get you an opportunity at an elk. Best thing is to call the outfitter.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

You yourself can also help your guide by being prepared to hunt as hard as possible. Guides have to know your physical condition, and how hard your able to hunt. Especially a western states Elk hunt. The better shape your in, the more you'll be able to hunt, and increase your chances to do whatever it takes to get that Elk.
Far as your gear, I'd bring your own binoculars, and range finder. Its your hunt, and it only helps your guide if you can involve yourself as much as possible. Both you glassing helps to find Elk over you being solely dependent on your guide. Bring your own range finder that your used too if have one.
Just remember its your hunt, and a guide guides you. But the more your capable of being involved that just helps the guide to help you!!
Old 11-19-2013, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

What state will you be hunting, and what state are you from?