Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Non guided hunt

Old 11-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Spike

Default Non guided hunt

Me and my buddy want to go on our own hunt for something we don't have in central Texas. Bears, elk, jumbo mulies, aoudad, alligator antelope, whatever. It'd be easier to say what we absolutely won't hunt, whitetails, pigs, and high fences. We have a Polaris ranger and a camper we can use. We would really prefer to use the ranger, but it's not an absolute necessity. We want to spend less than $1000 each total. And we aren't doing that draw tag crap. So could someone hook me up with some information I would appreciate it.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

It would be easier to help if you pick a state first. Colorado is the closest so that might be cheaper.

Mule deer is out if you don't want to go through the draw. Deer are all draw here.

If you don't want to draw an elk tag you'll have to get an OTC tag. That means tons of hunters doing what you want to do. The 4wheeler will make it worse, because anywhere you can use it will be full of hunters with 4wheelers too.

What weapon are you planning to use? Bow hunters have more opportunity.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:27 PM
Spike

Bow or rifle, either is fine. I'm not picky on states, it just has to be American
Old 11-08-2013, 05:57 AM
Typical Buck

If you look at WY either find private land to hunt or forget the ATV. They aren't allowed on public land except for on roads where you can take your pickup truck anyway.
The "no tag draw" rule is going to severely limit you as already stated.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you have any kind of hunts to trade? You can trade for some good hunts if you could offer whitetail and hogs.

Not sure I would rule out the "draw tag crap" as many good tags can be drawn in 0-1 years. Best elk hunt for newbies would be a Colorado first rifle (elk only/draw only) tag. Many can be drawn with 0 points
Old 11-09-2013, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 00possum
Me and my buddy want to go on our own hunt for something we don't have in central Texas. Bears, elk, jumbo mulies, aoudad, alligator antelope, whatever. It'd be easier to say what we absolutely won't hunt, whitetails, pigs, and high fences. We have a Polaris ranger and a camper we can use. We would really prefer to use the ranger, but it's not an absolute necessity. We want to spend less than $1000 each total. And we aren't doing that draw tag crap. So could someone hook me up with some information I would appreciate it.
Lot of limitations in your post. $1k limit, half will go to a tag, even an OTC tag you're going to fork over close to $500(or somewhere close), plus you have fuel usage, supplies, etc. As others said, sometimes you can still get a draw tag with no points. You can try in a couple of months when next year's draw tag apps come out. 4wd that is capable, with a camper that can make it are a plus. 4wheelers are cute, leave them at camp(yes I'm one of the haters). If you want to see elk, and not a sea of orange, you need walking boots to get back where the critters are, or a western horse/mule. 4wheelers running up and down the trails(only place that they are legal in many states inc here) only drive the critters you seek further into the woods. Remember, Elk once roamed the plains, but only the mountain elk survived extinction. That's because they are some smart animals and went to the higher, more rugged terrain where the bums couldn't reach them. So if you want OTC elk, Colorado will be one of your top choices then, with it being one of the western units. Just start getting in shape now, because those hills you have there are gopher mounds here
Old 11-11-2013, 08:07 AM
Spike

Ok, so all foot kind of thing. I guess if its the only way well make it work. If I wanted to do the draw thing I'd put my points in for alligators or exotics here in Texas. I just wanted something I could put together. What states have over the counter bull tags and lots of public hunting land? I'm nota worried about spending $500 or better on tags. I can eat beans from a can and tortillas. We're splitting the gas costs and Colorado is approximately 800 miles from my home. I might just take a tent and camp. If there's anything y'all want to pitch in id appreciate it
Old 11-11-2013, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Colorado is $586 for a NR bull tag. You have a choice of 2nd, or 3rd rifle seasons. About 2/3 of the units are OTC. You don't need to buy the tags until you get here.

That's as easy as it gets.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

My point on "points" is that you don't need them to draw a tag. You can apply for a first rifle season tag that can be had with O points. If for some reason you don't draw, you can get an OTC tag. In addition to the 2nd and 3rd rifle season, most units are OTC for archery. Your odds of getting an elk in the first rifle season would be better than the later seasons.

In fact , if I were you, I would consider putting in for a bull or either sex tag in the drawing as your first choice. Then as a second choice, you could put a cow tag. That way you would get to hunt the first rifle season next year and would be sure to draw the bull tag the year after. Cow tags are $350 and again your chance of success would be higher. Chances are you would get one of those tags. If not, you can still buy an OTC tag.

I have done a number of swap hunts that have worked out well. If you have something to trade, you can find someone who will show you the ropes and get you into a good area in Colorado. Otherwise, you are just taking a shot in the dark for the first year or two until you learn how/where to hunt in a given area.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:14 AM
Spike

I could offer hog hunts, but the hunters would have to stay in town 20 minutes away. And then it's not garunteed at that. And I didn't figure anyone would do that so I haven't offered it. What about pronghorns, or spot and stalk black bear? Still open on states.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.