Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

670 yard Mule Deer

Old 10-20-2013, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
Exactly.
You can't teach algebra to a dog. That's what this is like. Better to just be an amused bystander and let fools prove their ignorance on their own. They need no help.
Mr Bc, its only ignorance cause you don't know it, here is a challenge, go to www.longrangehunting.com and read a couple days, find out how this works, how common it is, and how illegitimate your's and muley hunters reasoning is, we are only fools cause you don't have a clue, if your happy with that.....who's the fool?
RR
Old 10-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

Well just my two cents thrown in here ...all you hunters that have not hunted barren ground or low sage brush, don't go knockin the long shot...t
THERE IS NO WAY to stalk when there is no cover... look at all the cover in my thumbnail photo we have MILES of that grass and brush that is not a foot tall..... Muley you might be a woodsman but ya gotta have some woods to hunt in to be a woodsman....where I hunt a 300 yd shot is close range 500 to 700 yds is the norm alot of times .......... so climb down offn yer high horse and come hunt the open and show us how ya gonna stalk that deer out in the open on the flats!!!!
Don't knock it till ya done it!!
Old 10-20-2013, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by finnbear
Well just my two cents thrown in here ...all you hunters that have not hunted barren ground or low sage brush, don't go knockin the long shot...t
THERE IS NO WAY to stalk when there is no cover... look at all the cover in my thumbnail photo we have MILES of that grass and brush that is not a foot tall..... Muley you might be a woodsman but ya gotta have some woods to hunt in to be a woodsman....where I hunt a 300 yd shot is close range 500 to 700 yds is the norm alot of times .......... so climb down offn yer high horse and come hunt the open and show us how ya gonna stalk that deer out in the open on the flats!!!!
Don't knock it till ya done it!!
That's why I live in Colorado Finn. I didn't move here by accident.

btw I've hunted coyotes for years on some of these open ranches. I can handle long shots just fine. I just prefer the timber for big game.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Some examples of where I hunt Finn. Peep sights is all that's needed.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
With Washington the way it is now. We may have to hunt for our food to survive.

As to the shots. The shot is everything to the long range hunter. For the still hunter, being in position to take the shot is everything.
Exactly, with the mess going on, and the stupidity we are dealing with in Denver, we may be there one day. It is better to be versatile and be ready for either situation, than to simply close off your eyes to one, or the other.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

I also have a pair of 1895 marlins, one with peeps for such needs actually, and some rather solid loads to take anything down at close range. If I'm hunting thick timber, I'm bringing one of them. If I'm covering open country, I like a lil Rum with my sage. If its a mix, I have a slew of toys to use, including my 375, trajectory of an '06, with the hammer of Thor, and deadly accurate. Should nickname her, the anchor.
Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Some examples of where I hunt Finn. Peep sights is all that's needed.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, that will work.

I'm shooting a muzzleloader now, and i'm trying the 460 gr No Excuse bullets next year. It should put the hurt on them, even at slow speeds.

I broke my back, and had to skip hunting this year, but i'll be hard at it again next year. It only takes me 30 mins to get to the area in those pictures I posted. So, I always know what conditions i'll be hunting, and long shots are never needed. Makes life simple. I go up there all summer scouting with my dog. I hardly ever get lost now.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

Well, we tried to burn everything around us last year and this year, and we took a break from this year hunting as well. I think we may try 55 next year, as I at least know one area back in the wilderness that produce elk. I have 350gr flatpoint hornadys and 405gr hard cast loads, to which I'm not sure which I'll take. I have peeps on the 22" 1895, and open sights on the 1895 guide gun. I have a 260gr partition load for the 375 with 2-7x glass on it, so it can work close up or out a couple hundred yards. With those kind of woods, long range simply won't happen as we all know. Now some areas I've hunted, its either crawl thru blackberry bushes, or stand over hay fields. I'll stick with standing, and let the guys with the wittle guns crawl thru the nasty stuff.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:06 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Mr Bc, its only ignorance cause you don't know it, here is a challenge, go to www.longrangehunting.com and read a couple days, find out how this works, how common it is, and how illegitimate your's and muley hunters reasoning is, we are only fools cause you don't have a clue, if your happy with that.....who's the fool?
RR
You seem to have convinced yourself that anyone who likes to get close does so because they can't shoot at distance. Wrong.
It's personal preference. Pretty simple idea.......... eh?
Old 10-21-2013, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by streetglideok
Well, we tried to burn everything around us last year and this year, and we took a break from this year hunting as well. I think we may try 55 next year, as I at least know one area back in the wilderness that produce elk. I have 350gr flatpoint hornadys and 405gr hard cast loads, to which I'm not sure which I'll take. I have peeps on the 22" 1895, and open sights on the 1895 guide gun. I have a 260gr partition load for the 375 with 2-7x glass on it, so it can work close up or out a couple hundred yards. With those kind of woods, long range simply won't happen as we all know. Now some areas I've hunted, its either crawl thru blackberry bushes, or stand over hay fields. I'll stick with standing, and let the guys with the wittle guns crawl thru the nasty stuff.
I hope you're hunting unit 55 in 1st rifle season? 2nd or 3rd season is OTC, and a real zoo over there. Even the wilderness areas will be full of outfitters.

I'm right next to the unit. The 4th picture down. Unit 55 is right over that ridge.

In my unit we have only 75 muzzleloader hunters. In the rifle seasons we have almost 900. I won't ever hunt rifle seasons again.

Still hunting only works when no other hunters are around.

Although I never worried about long range hunters, because they can't see into my timber. They'll be up on some ridge with a spotting scope glued to their head.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.