Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Antelope

Old 10-12-2013, 08:09 PM
Spike

Default Antelope

My son just filled his antelope tag today and we were wondering if there may be some issues with the taste of the meat. I've heard discussions about adrenalin causing poor taste in the meat. This was his first hunt and he chose to take an animal, a doe, that had already been hit and was lying down. When he approached her, she got up and started off but we could tell she was hit. He put her down with a shot and that was that. I commended him on taking an animal that was certain to die, but now and wondering if the meat may be " off tasting" because of the circumstances. Any comments?
Old 10-12-2013, 09:05 PM
Spike

As long as you get her cooled off fast and skinned, you should be alright!! Thumbsup on harvesting a wounded animal!!
Old 10-13-2013, 05:14 AM
Typical Buck

I second the kudos on putting down the wounded doe. I'd have done the same thing even if I couldn't get a bite of edible meat off her.

Wati is right. Proper field care is the key and should result in some good meat in a situation like you described.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:57 AM
Typical Buck

Congratulations on putting down a wounded animal. The mark of a true hunter!

Antelope has it's own flavor. Sage is a big part of their diet, adds greatly to their taste.

As others have posted, field care is important, and by now you have already done that. Unless it is very hot, I don't skin my antelope until I process them. I do like to hang them for several days to a week. They have to be protected from flies, like being inside a breathable game bag.

When I process them, I cut off anything white -- fat, tendons, silver skin, and all bloodshot meat. I also do not use a saw, as it will put bone and marrow chips into the meat.

I cook mine like all other wild game -- a little on the rare side, and not too much seasoning. I also make a lot of jerky from my antelope.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

Antelope is my favorite. I really don't know if I prefer it over elk or they are tied on my list.

Care is the issue. Get it cold ASAP. I dropped a doe a few weeks back. It was about 45 minutes from shot to ice chest. Those tenderloins were off the chain good. No, great.

When you draw a tag next time, I can't recommend enough that you get an area with a lot of farming. They will still eat sage, but when they get crops, you can taste the difference.

Congrats! Love the dinners. Stuff those roasts with rosemary and onion. They will be something you talk about for years.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

My take on pronghorn meat is that it makes good burger. I always have the entire animal turned into burger with beef added. Antelope burger is good stuff.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

DJfan is right. I shoot them off a neighbors alfalfa field. It makes a difference.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:10 PM
Typical Buck

I've never had bad antelope and it as good as any game meat out there. I've never observed a difference in the taste of sage vs. alfalfa for deer or antelope. We get it skinned, boned and on ice right away and in the freezer as soon thereafter as we can.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:29 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the replies! We cut it up today and threw some in the pan and oh man! She was taken off of some agricultural land and that may have made the difference.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on your son's success! Also I must tip my hat to him for taking a wounded animal out. I am glad the meat turned out good. My guess was that it would unless it was a gut shot that wounded it. Even then it should of been good with proper care. I agree with hanging then for a while first if allowed to. If not I would skin it and put it in a frig to cool off over night first. I find most game if the body heat is not allowed to escape from it before cutting and freezing ruins the meat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.