Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Picked up my bear skin rug. >

Picked up my bear skin rug.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Picked up my bear skin rug.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:13 AM
Spike

Default Picked up my bear skin rug.

Saturday morning I was reunited with my bear. It's always nerve racking, waiting to see what the artist has done with your hard fought for trophy. I feel disconnected, like the hunt truly isn’t finished, until I get my animals back. I miss them even more if I’ve finished eating the critter being mounted, and with my bear, that’s the case. We cooked the last of the bear at my men’s bible study class, so I’ve been anxiously awaiting this morning’s visit to Evelyn at Billington Ranch Taxidermy.

I discovered her through an exhaustive internet search of Texas taxidermists with experience mounting bears. I ran across her website http://www.billingtonranchtaxidermy.com/. I recognized her name from this article, which I highly suggest you take a look at if you want to do your own European mounts: http://www.hidetanning.net/SkullCleaning.html

I’m really happy with the detail around the eyes and nose, and her ability to work around some pretty severe scars the old boy earned through battling other bears on Prince of Wales Island.

A bear we got in California came back with much rougher fur, this bear was smooth and soft and it took about 2 seconds for my boys to jump on it. If you need a bear done, I highly recommend Billington Ranch Taxidermy.

Here's the hunt story if you are interested: http://wp.me/p3bCKM-4H
Attached Thumbnails Picked up my bear skin rug.-1382313_10200942602467808_1978787061_n.jpg   Picked up my bear skin rug.-1383106_10200942602147800_1421328095_n.jpg   Picked up my bear skin rug.-1383567_10200943251564035_1823718591_n.jpg  
Old 10-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Spike

Andrew you are wonderful writer ! What fantasic trip ! Thank you for posting !
Old 10-09-2013, 10:34 AM
Spike

I'm glad you liked it!
Old 10-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

My dog would claim that bear rug.

What did that cost to do? I don't see a price for a rug on the web site. You can PM me if you don't want to make it public.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Spike

awesome rug man! I wish to shoot a bear some day
Old 10-09-2013, 06:19 PM
Spike

Awesome rug and congrats on a successful bear hunt. I have yet to hunt a bear, but it's on my bucket list.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Spike

Nice bear skin rug. I got one last year and had a lap robe made for my wife. Yours looks thick and shiny, good bear.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Spike

Muley I'm I don't mind mentioning the price. It was $1500 which as about half of what my hunt cost. The crazy thing was, I didn't plan on shooting a big bear. I mean, of course I wasn't looking for a small bear, but with only 7 days to hunt and this being my first unguided bear hunt, I expected to shoot an average bear or get skunked. I was then just planning on getting the fur tanned and European mounting the skull. Then I went an shot a record book bear, and felt obligated to do something special with it.

FreeorBust and JFarley, bear hunting is a blast. I can't wait to take my boys bear hunting. You should definitely do it.

Floridaman, my Dad and I got one from California about 10 years ago and its fur was course like a pigs. This bear was soft and shiny. I don't know if it was the tanning method or the bear itself. I was more excited that there were no big rub spots then I was with the size. Where did you get your bear?
Old 10-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Kind of pricey for me. Maybe i'll tan just the hide myself. I just know my dog will claim the rug, so no sense getting to fancy.

Yours looks great. I'm not one for trophy's, but a rug looks good.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Spike

Muley I don't blame you. I keep telling myself I'm only going to European mount and tan the furs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.