Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Where to go for Black Bear >

Where to go for Black Bear

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Where to go for Black Bear

Old 09-26-2013, 04:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default Where to go for Black Bear

I'm really considering an archery black bear hunt either next year or more likely the year after.
I know Maine is meant to be really good for high bear numbers but what other states or outfitters can people suggest?
I'd like an opportunity at a nice size bear but I could sacrifice size for a better opportunity at harvesting one.

Any help greatly appreciated.

JP
Old 09-26-2013, 06:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Canada isn't a bad choice.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:26 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

The state of PA.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:58 PM
Spike

I'd say Wisconsin but I'm willing to bet you don't want to wait 6+ years for a tag. I get calls from about 50 non residents a year that want to come hunt with us and I have to turn them away.

Minnesota has a good bear population and you can buy your tags over the counter there. I know a resort that guides for black bear there, we stay there on ice fishing trips.

Big Fish Resort
218-665-2299
Old 09-26-2013, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

Canada would be great but I should add I'm trying to do this on a bit of a budget, from here flights to Canada are around $3,000 on their own! Because I'm coming such a long way I'd love if there was an opportunity to take two bears somewhere, I'm pretty sure I've heard of some states offering this is it true? Also, I wouldn't want to waste the meat but I obviously can't take it back home so what would happen to it? I'd be happy to eat as much as I could while I was there of course but I'm guessing there is a lot on a Bear!

RWK - Can you recommend any outfitters from PA

I also looked at Idaho, what's that like there?

BStricker - that's not entirely out of the question, do you have a website or if not could you please email me through some info about it?

Cheers,

JP
Old 09-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oh ok. I have some hunting friends who went to Canada for blacks, and they said there's some big bears there. I understand the financial situation. Otherwise i'd be going to Canada for hunts.

As for the meat. An outfitter may know charities that it can be donated to, but bear meat isn't the best tasting meat. So, i'm not sure how that would work out.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

The state of PA.
I live in PA and have hunted here since 1981. We have a lot of bears and some of the biggest black bears in the word. 700 pounders are shot every year and there was one over 900lbs shot two years ago.

But I would not recommend someone travel very far to hunt here. And here is why.

We only have a 3 day bear season.
It is the week of Thanksgiving
There is no baiting
There are no hounds
There are no outfitters
Success rate is around 3%

I've hunted years when we had early cold and snow and all the bears were already denned up. The poeple who get bears hunt in large groups and put on drives all day.

There is also an early archery season - still in November. No baiting and no dogs. I think it's also 3 days long.

There are also some units where you can shoot a bear in deer rifle season during the opening week. But you would be coming over to hunt when the whole state is out buck hunting.

I would go to Maine or Canada.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

North Carolina, and PA are pretty good choices. But there is a guy in Northern Ontario who puts on bear hunts. He sometimes trades hunts with others as well. I'll PM you with the info.

ATB
Old 09-27-2013, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RWK
The state of PA.
really?

Canada

Last edited by Tundra10; 09-27-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pennsylvania would be a 100% DIY hunt on public land. There are no outfitters, baiting is illegal and hounds are illegal.

If you can get with a group of 20 guys and put on drives, you have a decent chance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.