Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Area 110 Snowy Range, WY

Old 09-22-2013, 11:01 AM
Spike

Default Area 110 Snowy Range, WY

I got my first elk, a spike, in area 110 in the Snowy Range west of Laramie, WY about 8 years ago. Ever since, we have been going there to try to get my wife her first elk and hopefully, a second one for me. We see lot of moose in the Savage Run Wilderness and my friend got a monster bull last year, but the two of us haven't seen elk since I got my spike. I am hoping someone might have advice on a place to try. Nothing specific, but some good places to look to at least see something.

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:41 PM
Typical Buck

I've not been up in that country for years, but used to hunt it a lot. Look around Rob Roy and also around Lake Owen (an area that didn't get as much pressure). Fox Park was always popular. There used to be a pretty good herd on Sheep Mountain, but its been a long time. If you get one up there, you might want a horse or two lined up... In any case, cover a lot of ground. I imagine that whole area gets hit pretty hard. Look for pockets of good cover, feed, and water that don't seem to get as much pressure.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:47 PM
Spike

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-22-2013, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like my earlier post didn't post?

Most of my hunting in the MedBow has been in 9 and 10. I've hunted 110 a couple seasons, but the places I've picked to get into Savage Run from usually seem to result in more of a "Savage Crawl" than a "Run." Some tough country - I spend more time flyfishing and bighorn-watching in 110 than I do elk hunting. A trout is much easier to pack out.

I'm in 7 (again!) this fall, or I might be tempted to poke around last year's burn from Jelm north towards Sheep Mountain. I haven't been up toward Lake Owen this year, but it might be that there could be a good number more elk than usual there if the forage was good this summer in the burn? That's area 9 though. I've seen more moose than deer OR elk this summer up in the Snowys, often right by the highway. Kinda nice to see them again.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

I answered with out specifics to area. I don't remember the boundaries.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:17 PM
Spike

Thanks again guys. You statements about seeing more moose than elk are right on! I wish one of us would draw a moose tag, but they are a lot of fun to just watch. I had some one suggest Pelton Creek west of Fox Park. Do you guys know anything about that area? Like I said just seeing elk would be cool! lol