Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

.338 Win Mag for elk

Old 09-22-2013, 02:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default .338 Win Mag for elk

I'll probably be taking my .338 to Montana this Fall to Elk hunt with. I bought a box of Fusion 225 gr. to see if my rifle likes them. Assuming they shoot well, are they any good on Elk or is there something else you'd recommend that I should see how it shoots out of my rifle?
Old 09-22-2013, 05:17 PM
Typical Buck

From what I've read on many of these internet forums, the .338 Win is THE cartridge to hunt elk with, so it looks like you've made the right choice of rifles.

I've killed a lot of elk, but not with anything that big.

Here's a few quotes that I agree with from other forums:

“The 338 is WAY more than adequate in just about any bullet weight.”
“338 Win in any bullet weight or structure is more than enough firepower for elk.”

“The 338 is a classic elk caliber but is way over the top for most situations. Enjoy your hunt with peace of mind.”
Old 09-23-2013, 11:39 AM
Typical Buck

There isn't a factory load for the 338 that isn't more than plenty for elk.

Unless you are in the habit of shooting them in the butt as they run away. Even then................
Old 09-23-2013, 12:39 PM
Spike

Don't shoot elk in the butt. They don't like it.

DanMorgan
Old 09-23-2013, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

Butt at least they won't turn around and come back like a bare is apt to do.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

This is a funny thread!!!!!!!! I have a .338 I like it except it makes a lot of noise and it does like to come back at me a bit.... it has killed every elk I have pointed it at, BUT it has not killed near as many elk as my old .300 H&H which is much pleasanter to shoot any day of the week! I normally use just a plain and simple old time real Winchester silvertip in 150grns, but my supply is dwindling so I will eventually have to stop with that load!
But to answer your question the about fusion .225 will it kill an elk??? yes......... will it kill it any deader than a hit from a 30-06????? NO!!!!!
Old 09-23-2013, 09:24 PM
Spike

I have not been on this board for very long but all this talk about what kind of gun, ammo, bullet, weight, etc..............

I wish more people would just get one good rifle and learn how to shoot it. Shot placement makes all this other stuff not as important. Take the money you were going to spend on a new rifle, scope, ammo, sling, etc......... And get some good training on how to shoot the one you already have. It's priceless. After shooting my two antelopes with my AR-15 in 5.56 cal I really wouldn't have any problem shooting an elk under 200 yards with it. Here comes the people saying “that would be so unethical.” Well if you saw firsthand what that bullet did to the antelope you would change your mind. If an animal doesn't have lungs or heart it will die very quickly. Shot placement, it's everything with big game hunting. I have never had to trail an animal. Not once. If I can't put the bullet in the vitals I don't shoot. Have I passed on some animals that I might have been able to hit? Sure I have, but I didn't pull the trigger. Not fair for the animal, and I am lazy and don't like to look for something all night and day. Rather be hunting or skinning one out.

Get some good training, practice, with the rifle you’re hunting with, and then go down some game.

Good luck this year with your hunt.

Be very afraid of a man with one gun. He probably knows how to use it.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:19 AM
Typical Buck

Couldn't have said it better Dan.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

I've always used a 338 on elk (and moose) and think it's a great caliber. I started with 225 grn Failsafes and wasn't completely happy so I switched to 250 grn Nosler Partition bullets and really like how they perform. I haven't used lighter bullets in the 338 so couldn't offer firsthand experience. It looks like you've gotten a lot of good firsthand experience observations in this thread so I'd say make your decision accordingly. 338, 300 or 30-06, you really can't go wrong. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Those of you who have been on the forum for awhile will know i've used a Win 94 30-30 for elk and muleys since the 50's. I've never lost an animal. In the last few years i've switched to muzzleloaders. All game has been taken with open sights.

So, you know how I stand on magnums. However, i'm not arrogant enough to tell someone they shouldn't buy a new gun, but instead should learn to shoot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.