Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Successful WI Bear Hunts

Old 09-21-2013, 04:16 PM
Spike

Default Successful WI Bear Hunts

Another successful season! The hunting was a little slower than normal but we still managed to send all of our hunters home with full tags.

www.facebook.com/NCOutfitters
Attached Thumbnails Successful WI Bear Hunts-774516_549182748484535_878292162_o.jpg   Successful WI Bear Hunts-1236904_10151605452501960_1856906055_n.jpg  
Old 09-22-2013, 12:27 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Come on guys my dog is bigger.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:23 PM
Spike

They weren't the biggest bears we had on camera. Being a slow year, and the fact that they had to wait 7 years for a tag they were happy. A lot of guys in our area didn't even see a bear. All the big ones were moving at night because of the heat.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by b_stricker12
They weren't the biggest bears we had on camera. Being a slow year, and the fact that they had to wait 7 years for a tag they were happy. A lot of guys in our area didn't even see a bear. All the big ones were moving at night because of the heat.
I can attest to that observation as I'm only getting cubs and small ones coming in to my bait in NW Wisconsin during daylight. The ones I'm holding out for are coming in 1 hour after sunset and the heat is definitely taking it's toll as these bear stand panting like a dog over the bait. Two weeks to go so gotta give it the final push.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by b_stricker12
Originally Posted by W9ARcher
I can attest to that observation as I'm only getting cubs and small ones coming in to my bait in NW Wisconsin during daylight. The ones I'm holding out for are coming in 1 hour after sunset and the heat is definitely taking it's toll as these bear stand panting like a dog over the bait. Two weeks to go so gotta give it the final push.
maybe a bad year for bear in general?? I had a small one on my bait...and the heat is finally ending so hopefully that will get them moving...I know they got to eat all the time...this is the first year for hunting bear...so see what happens...
Old 09-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Wilcam47
maybe a bad year for bear in general?? I had a small one on my bait...and the heat is finally ending so hopefully that will get them moving...I know they got to eat all the time...this is the first year for hunting bear...so see what happens...
I think its a bad year in general. Because of the late spring, the berries in the woods were turning ripe just as season opened...in our area it was the mushrooms. They will eat natural food first...add that on top of the heat and it lowers your chances dramatically.
I PM'd you about another thing you can try wilcam, I wished we lived closer I could just sit you in one of my stands. I've just been baiting them to keep the coons around so I can trap them next month, they are still getting nailed, and I know there is at least 2 bears that are over 300. this picture is from when I baited yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails Successful WI Bear Hunts-1185771_543849705684506_883183139_n.jpg  
Old 09-25-2013, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is the first year Ive hunted bear...

I also have heard(proved ) if you shoot a raven and put it close to the bait the others wont come near it...I don't really care if its a big bear Im going to shoot one if I see one...so long as it doesn't have cubs...So far its been more challenging than deer hunting. so with this cooler weather I hope it will get them moving!

Thanks for the tips! where do you get the jelly drops or whatever they are in the buckets?

Last edited by Wilcam47; 09-25-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Wilcam47
This is the first year Ive hunted bear...

I also have heard(proved ) if you shoot a raven and put it close to the bait the others wont come near it...I don't really care if its a big bear Im going to shoot one if I see one...so long as it doesn't have cubs...So far its been more challenging than deer hunting. so with this cooler weather I hope it will get them moving!

Thanks for the tips! where do you get the jelly drops or whatever they are in the buckets?
I've never heard about that with a raven, but we don't have trouble with them here...the coons are a different story.

The guy I buy bait from has about everything bakery or candy related that you can think of, I put on about 10 lbs. this season eating those things lol

I use granola, sugar cones, or trail mix as my main bait...then always top it off with something sweet, but if you give them too much sugar they will get sick and you'll never see them again.

Last edited by b_stricker12; 09-25-2013 at 02:00 PM. Reason: type
Old 09-26-2013, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bear hit my bait again...3 days in a row! but my game camera is flaking out on me and not taking pics of bears!! Like a dummy I forgot my keys and card this morning and went and checked it and sure enough the lid was knocked off and they ate the gum drops! there were only a couple small packages but its funny they picked off the gum drops! haha...Im going out tonight and see how it goes!
Old 11-01-2013, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

well season is over here...so what does the bear clicking sound mean? I heard it a few times while hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.