Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
.50 muzzleloader usage on big game >

.50 muzzleloader usage on big game

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

.50 muzzleloader usage on big game

Old 09-10-2013, 12:14 PM
Spike

Default .50 muzzleloader usage on big game

If it was all you had,what do you think is the best bullet/load in a .50 caliber for heavy dangerous game in North America like grizzlies? Taking all things into consideration.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd use a hard cast bullet to make sure of penetration. Harvester sells good ones that take down cape buffalo. A grizz should be easy.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Typical Buck

If you have the cash to make a hunt for Griz in North America you have the cash for a rifle equal to the task.

I know you question was hypothetical but let's be real.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:33 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I'd use a hard cast bullet to make sure of penetration. Harvester sells good ones that take down cape buffalo. A grizz should be easy.
OK got you.my screen wasnt refreshed. thanks! i actually like that answer compared to some ppl saying to "get in my car and leave".If that was an option i wouldnt be in the woods.

thanks for your input,i appreciate it. you think a heart/lung shot or go for the CNS?
Old 09-10-2013, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

It will probably run from you when shot. I would go more for a killing shot than a CNS shot.

These are the bullets i'm thinking of.

http://www.harvestermuzzleloading.co...chk=1&Itemid=3
Old 09-11-2013, 08:11 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
It will probably run from you when shot. I would go more for a killing shot than a CNS shot.

These are the bullets i'm thinking of.

http://www.harvestermuzzleloading.co...chk=1&Itemid=3
thanks, i checked them out.i have some Harvester Scorpions already. they look like a good choice.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:10 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
If you have the cash to make a hunt for Griz in North America you have the cash for a rifle equal to the task.

I know you question was hypothetical but let's be real.
ha,is that supposed to be a rhetorical statement?Being real would be taking a repeater and a buddy.But being real is on another thread.thanks for taking the time though.

i didnt say i did or didnt have a rifle that would kill a grizzly.It doesnt take much cash to get a rifle that will kill grizz.I think its generally accepted that a 9.3x62Mauser or .375H&H is the beginning of a dangerous game caliber and ive heard plenty of stories of grizzlies killed with less.Those can be less than 1k,and if you happen to live or have friends in grizzly country, its not much more than the cost of the rifle.

But this question was not about finance,but about survival and killing a bear with a muzzleloader.Meaning if you were deer/elk hunting with a .50 caliber muzzleloader,and threatened by a grizzly,what bullet would best dispatch the threat.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:50 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by blkpowder50
But this question was ... if you were deer/elk hunting with a .50 caliber muzzleloader,and threatened by a grizzly,what bullet would best dispatch the threat.
If you're not hunting them, but are worried about grizzlies, carry a can of bear spray. Keep it handy, and know how to use it.

With a muzzleloader, you may have time for one shot, and if the bear is actually threatening you, that shot may not be accurately placed. A muzzleloader bullet suitable for elk would also be suitable for a grizzly.

I have lived, worked, and hunted in grizzly country since 1975. I'll occasionally carry a pistol, but I'm not really worried about bears. Most of the bears, black and grizz, that I've encountered have ran away as soon as they saw or winded me.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:49 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by buffybr
If you're not hunting them, but are worried about grizzlies, carry a can of bear spray. Keep it handy, and know how to use it.

With a muzzleloader, you may have time for one shot, and if the bear is actually threatening you, that shot may not be accurately placed. A muzzleloader bullet suitable for elk would also be suitable for a grizzly.

I have lived, worked, and hunted in grizzly country since 1975. I'll occasionally carry a pistol, but I'm not really worried about bears. Most of the bears, black and grizz, that I've encountered have ran away as soon as they saw or winded me.
thank you for your advice, i appreciate it.if thats you with the nyati then you must know your stuff. i can use sprays proficiently,so thatll be no problem. id use a Harvester scorpion 300 grainer pointed bullet w/150 grns bp for elk.

Last edited by blkpowder50; 09-12-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's your life. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.