Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Outfitter Tipping Etiquette >

Outfitter Tipping Etiquette

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Outfitter Tipping Etiquette

Old 09-03-2013, 12:15 PM
Spike

Default Outfitter Tipping Etiquette

Quick question on tipping etiquette. When an outfitter is also the guide should we tip him as well? If the guide was an employee of the outfitter, yes of course but this is a one man operation so I'm not so sure. I don't usually hunt with an outfitter but access to this 30k acre property and it's tags is extremely limited and it's an interesting hunt. Thanks for the input...
Old 09-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends are you just paying to use his tags and his property or is he gonna sit down go over trail camera pics, give you all the info he can on latest deer movements, drive you to the area hang out with you or come back and get you. A little more info on what this place is doing may go a long way. It may not warrant a full tip like outfitters with multiple guide but it may deserve something more then nothing. if the guy is just letting you pay him to come hunt his land with no further interaction really then probably not.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

If you are "paying" to have access to his land and its a "Do It Yourself" hunt, then tipping would not be expected. But if he is putting you up, providing meals, providing transportation, tree stands and guiding you on your hunt, then you would tip him.

On our "DYI" hunts, we tipped where services were rendered like to the cook who prepared our meals and the packers who helped bring the game out. On fully guided hunts we tipped the guide, plus the others who provided services.

The most expensive hunts as far as tipping goes was Africa. You have drivers, trackers, skinners, a cook, housekeepers and one or more guides depending on what you hunted! Whew!

Hope this helps.

Take Care and Shoot Straight!
Old 09-04-2013, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Do you tip a one man operation barber?
Old 09-07-2013, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

This tipping crap and the expectations of tips is getting out of hand, has anyone looked at a tip suggestion sheet...heck they have your kids teacher in there expecting a tip, the mailman wants a tip every one wants a tip........
I would not tip the outfitter, you have all ready paid him what he charged, the guide if he sucked wouldn't get a tip either! Gratuities were first offered for service above and beyond the norm or expected amount of service, tip the cook? do you tip the cook in a restaurant? If I get exemplary service then I will tip, if they just go through the motions no tip!!! I have to laugh when I go into a 7-11 and there's a tip jar on the counter!!!!!