Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Grizzly spoted in N.W. Colorado >

Grizzly spoted in N.W. Colorado

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Grizzly spoted in N.W. Colorado

Old 09-06-2013, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
It would add some mystery to going back in after the rest of those elk quarters.
And that, it certainly would!
Old 09-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

Whenever game wardens, DoW officers, or whatever we call them make a statement of "No there isn't any (insert game animal name) in the state..., what they really mean is, "We've been introducing this animal to the area, however we will deny it until someone kills one". They denied bear and cougar existed in the Tulsa, OK area for years, until one year a bear and a cougar at different times were truck by cars. Then the real truth came out of introductions.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:07 AM
Typical Buck

I cut the local wardens considerable slack on most things. I have most always found them to be straight up good guys who are sometimes stuck with the job of implementing bad policy made by bureaucrats who don't know squat about the real world.

Take the wolf reintroduction for example. FUBAR from the git go and getting worse every year.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Trail cam pictures of gizzlies, snakes, wolves, coyotes, black bears bound to keep some folks out of the woods.
It was bad enough before trail cams and the internet.

Real big grizzlies on the internet. And they have real good camera work on the cable.
Scare a newbie half to death.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

I wrote a reply to this post on Wed eve but when I hit enter my pc locked up and I lost it so I'll try it again.

Yes the last grizzer was kilt in Colo in 70's. As I recall the story he attacked a mailman and the guy killed the bear. I don't know if he was delivering mail or if that was just his occupation and he was out hunting and was attacked. It was nw of Pagosa probably in the Weminuche if I recall what was relayed to me.

In the summer of 2011 one or more grizzlies was spotted in the area of Independence Pass. The DOW did some heli flights and saw nothing. Not sure if the viewers got pics. It was a big deal in the Salida and Leadville papers for a few weeks then the story died.

As to the 'they already did it' post above, you are probably right. When the public hears about wildlife stocking projects for grizz and wolves most state wildlife take the plausible deniability route. The states ( they're all LLC since the Klinton administration) do not want to accept RISK for wildlife projects gone wrong where people or property might suffer damage, so many predatory animal projects ( like the eastern cougar) don't exist, never happened, "we don't know anything about it".

As for my own self I will have no prob shooting each/every wolf I encounter, law or no law. And please don't cite/flame me here about 'ethics', my ethics is a Winchester rifle. <That's a period.

On the other hand I would never shoot a grizz or bigfoot unless under direct attack or if I had a grizz license. But that's just me.

I believe if there is grizzly habitat it is north and south of Independence Pass along the valleys leading up to the Divide. Just like some places look 'elky', those valleys look like grizz country. Pretty unscientific but that's way it seems. Which is not to say that northern Colo ranchers wont soon lose cows to migrating grizzers coming down from MT and WY. We are bound to see them in Colo in next ten yrs. ANd that will be 'interesting'.

Thanks.

Last edited by SILVERTIP-CO; 09-13-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Independent Pass?? I fly fish those creeks up there.

Now i'll be looking behind me more often.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Independent Pass?? I fly fish those creeks up there.

Now i'll be looking behind me more often.
And ahead of you, and beside you, and ...
Old 09-13-2013, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

Don't forget the Tabasco sauce...... I mean...... bear spray, Pete.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
Don't forget the Tabasco sauce...... I mean...... bear spray, Pete.
Actually the new thing is wasp spray, but I got that off ABC News and they lie about everything. It does however work great on felons and the distance it shoots is 3x as far as capuscasin(sp?)...I mean if you don't have a .44mag that is.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:06 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SILVERTIP-CO
Actually the new thing is wasp spray, but I got that off ABC News and they lie about everything. It does however work great on felons and the distance it shoots is 3x as far as capuscasin(sp?)...I mean if you don't have a .44mag that is.
Could be good info on the wasp spray. As I understand it the wasp spray is just a low grade nerve gas.
I'd still rather have my 44 if I was on my back getting nibbled on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.