Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Grizzly spoted in N.W. Colorado >

Grizzly spoted in N.W. Colorado

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Grizzly spoted in N.W. Colorado

Old 09-26-2013, 06:08 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by homers brother
That then lends some clarity to why they say you should fight a black or a mountain lion, but play dead with a grizzly. Somehow, the latter doesn't seem all that wise, either, since the victim often ends up dinner anyway? I think I'll just try to avoid all of them. I don't particularly care for bear or lion filets, truth be known.
I'm just repeating what I have heard here -- I don't know this to be the case for a fact: As I understand it, the play dead rule is play dead for a female bear with cubs as she is just trying to run you off and protect her cubs; if its a male and/or no cubs, the bear is probably hunting and playing dead will do no good.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

So much bear scat where I hunt that I have to watch where i'm hunting.

They say to make a lot of noise so the bear knows your coming. Well, my still hunting style is all about making no noise, and sneaking up on game. That includes bears. I'm always ready to take a quick shot at a bear that I surprise. Which is often. I've never had to shoot a black, but i've had my sights on them ready to to.

Same with grizz in Alaska.

No need to be scared, but be ready.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:49 AM
Typical Buck

I worry a lot more about cougars than I do about bears. I know that cats are unlikely to attack an adult man but I've been shadowed by cats enough to make me a little edgy about them.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, cats can be spooky. Too damn sneaky, and they attack from the rear. I hate them.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

I'd hunt cats just for spite except I'm too old to chase a pack of hounds all over the mountain.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Me too. I like to go at my own pace.