Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Grizzly spoted in N.W. Colorado >

Grizzly spoted in N.W. Colorado

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Grizzly spoted in N.W. Colorado

Old 09-24-2013, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
...I'd still rather have my 44 if I was on my back getting nibbled on.
I bought a all nylon shoulder holster rig to carry my Super Blackhawk in. Keeps the hands free for fly fishing and gold panning.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:32 PM
Spike

Griz sightings are like wolf sightings. Without photos from a reliable source, I would have to hesitage on this sighting. Most, not all, wolf sightings are coyotes.

DanMorgan
Old 09-24-2013, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

That's true Dan.
Best way to make positive ID is to shoot it then examine it on the ground. I advocate this method. With wolves and coyotes I mean.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've read that black bears kill more humans than grizz.

So, is this such a big deal?
Old 09-25-2013, 06:06 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I've read that black bears kill more humans than grizz.

So, is this such a big deal?
That's probably because there's a lot more black bears, but, is the average Griz more likely to kill a human that the average black bear?
Old 09-25-2013, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Does a lot more black bears make them less, or more dangerous than the grizz?
Old 09-25-2013, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

Understood, but the stastic that black bears kill more humans than griz includes places like Wisconsin and Maine, where they are infinitely more dangerous because there are no griz. If the statistic was based on western Montana, I doubt the same would hold true.

It's really apples & oranges, though.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

Lions, Tigers, and Bears.......... Oh My !!!!!!

I'm scared of Griz because they don't need a reason to jump your ass. Just because you are close is plenty for them. A black normally has a reason.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the interests of full disclosure, I've never been attacked or eaten by a bear. However, what I've read (Kaniut, Herrero, et al) tends to suggest that black bears will indeed attack humans, but for different reasons than grizzlies typically do. What I recall is that Blacks will attack humans for the same reasons mountain lions do - they're hungry. Grizzlies often start an attack trying to chase a human off (blacks generally run the opposite direction), and when the human is slow or stubborn and gets itself killed in the process, often ends up the mystery meat du jour.

That then lends some clarity to why they say you should fight a black or a mountain lion, but play dead with a grizzly. Somehow, the latter doesn't seem all that wise, either, since the victim often ends up dinner anyway? I think I'll just try to avoid all of them. I don't particularly care for bear or lion filets, truth be known.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:29 PM
Typical Buck

The good news, and we need some here, is that 99.9% of us jackpine savages will never have a dangerous encounter with a bear. It's like flying. If something goes bad it goes real bad but your chances are extremely slim that it will.

None the less, finding yourself looking at fresh bear sign sure does spice things up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.