HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Elk Season is Upon US!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/384613-elk-season-upon-us.html)

TwoBear 08-31-2013 08:47 AM

Elk Season is Upon US!!

Well, I was in the high country a few days ago and the bulls were talking, they were also talking down on the bottoms at the ranch. Saw lots of sign and the wallows were showing good activity. Looks like another fine elk season is in order. Good luck to all this year and stay safe.

Zim 08-31-2013 04:16 PM

Heading out to the Bighorns a week from today. Filling out my gear checklist now.

Muley Hunter 08-31-2013 04:46 PM

Skipping this year, but already preparing for next year.

Wildman21 08-31-2013 05:01 PM

Heading up for some day hunts on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Can't wait!

Alsatian 08-31-2013 06:44 PM

I'll be hunting at 11000' in SW Colorado starting October 12 -- first rifle season. It was 105 degrees in Dallas today. I'm looking forward to the high country for many, many reasons. Physical conditioning has gone well, and I feel strong and fit and my weight is down about where I want it to be. My gear is pretty much in order -- I'm staging gear in an empty bedroom (son off to college) now. It is going to be great. My fourth elk hunting trip to this area, my third elk hunting trip with my great hunting partner. Love elk hunting. I love to hear the elk bugling and the cows mewing . . . although I haven't heard this often during the mid-October first rifle season in SW Colorado. I did in 2011, which was a surprise but really cool.

One morning we had walked close to where my partner planned to hunt but heard a bull calling so we stopped where we were. We listened to this bull calling for about 20 minutes. Incredible. A mixture of anguished sadness and uncompromising rage and bravado. But, as I say, usually I don't hear this at that time -- the rut probably is usually over before then.

Muley Hunter 08-31-2013 07:20 PM

2011 was really hot, and the rut was late. I think this year will be normal weather.

Which means you might get snow for 1st rifle season.

Then again it's weather. So, who knows?

HIN 09-02-2013 06:08 AM

You never know it with the weather. The gear is verry important in this time of the year. Either is too cold, but better than sweat and nervous. Still waiting for the snow which forces them to get out in search for food.

wyomingtrapper 09-02-2013 07:35 PM

Went up this morning. Heard one bugle, saw five bucks. One was a real keeper, but not willing to accommodate me. Overcast, drizzle and some solid rain... Perfect hunting weather.

deernutz 09-03-2013 12:04 PM

Yup heard bugles yesterday. Got me pretty pumped. Watched two bulls feed out of some timber 45 mins before dark.

hurricane1 09-09-2013 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Zim (Post 4077009)
Heading out to the Bighorns a week from today. Filling out my gear checklist now.

Zim, you in the mountains yet? Heard reports the elk were getting nervous.:biggrin:

Best of luck!