HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Pronghorn 2013 with pic's (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/384517-pronghorn-2013-pics.html)

Ranger77 08-27-2013 10:45 PM

Pronghorn 2013 with pic's

What a week.

I worked 11 hours Monday, 15 on Tuesday, got off work at 3 am on Wednesday and proceeded to drive 900+ miles to near Alamosa, CO. I got there and walked around for just a few minutes before crashing in the back of my Sequoia in one of the worst nights sleep I've ever had.

I use to could sleep anywhere - not anymore.

Thursday morning I walked for a few miles, saw one dink antelope buck.

This is the kind of country I am looking at - vast, it swallow everything

Its gorgeous country - it really is, it has its own beauty.

I returned to truck for lunch, and then proceeded to drive, and try to get acquainted with this vast unit. I found a group of pronghorn, one small buck. I decided to get closed, but you have to wrap way, WAYYYY around - and in the process of walking the miles needed to do that, I came across a NICE buck over the lip of a ridgeline.

I have a Be The Decoy- and I have now renamed it Scare the Prognhorns Hat - because that's what it did ! Stil - nice pronghorn.

I found another one - not as big - same results with hat

before wrapping back to truck and taking another route to the group I'd seen earlier. I spot/stalked them - and got to where they were, no pronghorns

walked all the way BACK to the truck and driving out? there they were, 100 yards below the very ledge I'd walked

the swells and sways and gully's and dips .... they hide EVERYTHING

grrrr

I slept very hard and uncomfortable Thursday night but don't ever forget to stop and smell ....

and don't forget the type of country ...

Friday morning, I'm back at that ridge. I walked..... gads I walked 10+ miles. I came into this area - kinda cool, great place to hide from a storm .... you never see these areas glassing

and I saw this and thought, what the heck? middle of prairie and there's a page from a book? really ?

aside from the paper, miles and miles of open sagebrush and one decent buck that saw me and ran for 20 miles the other way .... nothing. I got back to my truck, exhausted, and drove to another area, hiked it .... nothing so I'm now thinking I have to drive more, hike less because you can walk for days and not see a pronghorn I think.

I probably drove a good 40 miles of dirt 4x4 type roads, and saw NOTHING when a nice buck and 4 does crossed the road in front of me. I watched them from a distance, and the terrain being as it were, they were "funneled" between a private fence, a steep hillside, and a waterless gully about chest deep

so, I 1/4 mile belly crawled, ranged the buck at 82 yards and BAM!!!! busted

goodness these things have scary vision

plenty of these though and they LOVE people

so I drove some more, and back to where that group was, and then opposite direction from where I came and I see this nice buck side hilling at a steady pace - towards where that group was an hour back.

and I think huh .... if he follows the same path/trail ..... hmmmm

so off I go, high tailing it back the way I came, over a hill, down the roads and park then back up towards that funnel type area .... and guys I don't mean literally a funnel, I mean like as funnel as it gets in open prairie !

anyway, I get to where the pronghorns were earlier, get low in that gully and I can't believe it in 10 minutes here he comes

the shot was a bit quarter to, taking out lungs, liver and exiting back ........ two small circles and down he went, arrow #2 because I can't stand to watch an animal dying when I can make it quicker.

I didn't know how good he was ..... and I'm not a scorer on antelope, but I think he's an upper 70's buck ... great mass, 14" length, 6 1/2" bases, broomed prongs but gorgeous gorgeous

I'm guessing 78" B&C score .... maybe 74-75" P&Y

I had him quartered by dark, and I drove all night to get back here by 3pm with just 2 hours sleep

what a whirlwind - looking back, I think my buck saw the smaller buck with does from a way off ... and he was simply coming to whip the smaller buck, and claim the does .... lots of luck, I was just accepting that you can walk/drive tens of miles and not even SEE a pronghorn in this country

so lucky

Wingbone 08-28-2013 01:56 AM

What a hunt! Great story. Nice goat. Anyone that can take an antelope has my respect.

homers brother 08-28-2013 04:06 AM

Great story and photos. Thanks for sharing them.

olsaltydog 08-28-2013 05:09 AM

Great Hunt.

mackesr 08-28-2013 07:44 AM

Awesome story with great pics. Congrats on the goat. Sounds like you earned him.

Psylocide 08-28-2013 08:04 AM

Great story and pics... what range did you ultimately take him at?

Ranger77 08-28-2013 12:00 PM

I didn't range him - I've been shooting to 65 yards and put the pin above his backline .... I'd guess 60 yards.

Psylocide 08-28-2013 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger77 (Post 4076271)
I didn't range him - I've been shooting to 65 yards and put the pin above his backline .... I'd guess 60 yards.

Nice shooting.

Murdy 08-28-2013 01:17 PM

Congrats and a great post.

Ranger77 08-28-2013 07:29 PM

lots of luck guys ..... as with any hunting

I'm 44, hunted all my life, had some good success and after 48 hours I was really down because of the sheer vastness of the land, not knowing it, not seeing any animals ...

Lesson learned - don't EVER get down or out, be positive, always ..... even when we know it we can lose it so easily you know ?