Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Early Season Mulie?

Old 08-19-2013, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Early Season Mulie?

So this yr I dedictated my buck tag for a mule deer. I have never hunted them before. I live in a river bottom where theres whitetails everywhere. So i never really went after mulies. With that said I've been going out glassing for bucks. This past weekend I found Muy Grande. He's around the 180 mark. Absoultely amazing deer hiding in plain veiw.

I really dont know Mulie behavior in the early season. He was out in broad daylight around 930 am feeding and watched him bed up in some trees. Didn't have a care in the world. I'm excitied but I don't know how excited I should be. He seemed pretty comfortable where he was. Do they change where they bed and feed if their not preasured? Once they lose their velvet are they like whities and change patterns? Any help and advice would be appreciated. To get this guy with my bow to be my first mulie buck would be soooo awsome.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:03 PM
Spike

Mulies are a little different from whitetails in that they aren't as easy to pattern. They won't follow the same path every day and eat and sleep in the same spot every day. They do follow the same routine, feed in the morning, bed in the afternoon/day, feed again in the evening. I would keep doing what your doing, glass him in the morning, watch where he beds and with the wind blowing in your face make a stalk, most likely from uphill. Then, once you're in a comfortable range, wait for him to stand, don't try to make him stand up yourself. Good luck!
Old 08-19-2013, 03:29 PM
Typical Buck

Generally after shedding velvet, they are more likely to move to heavier cover, if there is any in the area.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the advice. He's on public land so my plan is to try and get close enough for a shot opening weekend.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Are you hunting the first season of the year? Otherwise I doubt he'll be where you saw him.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yup opener is Sept 7th. Already took the first 3 days of season off. It’s been so dry here. He's hanging out in a little draw with some ponderosas. That has some water and the only green patch for miles.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good deal. Make sure you're the first one there, and hope nobody is camped out near the area.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:23 PM
Spike

The last two years I have spot and stalked mulies with my bow and I saw a real nice buck like you did before season and opening day he was in the same general area but i could never get close enough to get a shot. If there isnt anybody else hunting the same piece of property I think you have a good chance. And from what I have seen losing velvet really doesnt affect mulies as much as whitetails. Good luck!
Old 08-27-2013, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

Get in early and personaly i like to just pack in a bag to the area i want to wake up and start stalking at daybreak. Best of luck to you on your hunt!
Old 08-28-2013, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the advice. I went out there sun morn. I didnt see him but i did see two other smaller bucks and some does. He could have been bedded and I just didnt see him. My plan is to get there in place an hours before light. So I'll probably be headed in around 430 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.