Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Big game rifle for a newcomer? >

Big game rifle for a newcomer?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Big game rifle for a newcomer?

Old 08-09-2013, 10:03 PM
Spike

Default Big game rifle for a newcomer?

Hi guys I have been hunting for a while and I finally got my best friend into hunting he's never really shot many guns maybe a shotgun or two. He wants to hunt such game as deer elk moose and bears he has his sights set on a kimber montana and the winchester m70 ultimate shadow as a close second. I have no doubt those rifles will be perfect for him but here's the problem I haven't the slightest clue what caliber is best. I use a 7mm rem mag for my bigger stuff but I just don't know what he could handle he's a big dude and dosnt seem the type to be sensitive to recoil can you give me some suggestions on some rifle calibers that will get the job done without bruising your shoulder to bad? Thanks guys.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

How far does he plan on shooting (makes some difference) and, more importantly, which kind of bears does he plan on shooting? You might consider having him shoot your 7mm and any 30 caliber rifles so he can get an idea on what kind of recoil he's okay with. Just because he's big doesn't mean he doesn't have a shoulder or other injury that might make him a little recoil sensitive. And don't forget to tell him that rifles are like potato chips and most of us can't stop at 1.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:53 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by CalHunter
How far does he plan on shooting (makes some difference) and, more importantly, which kind of bears does he plan on shooting? You might consider having him shoot your 7mm and any 30 caliber rifles so he can get an idea on what kind of recoil he's okay with. Just because he's big doesn't mean he doesn't have a shoulder or other injury that might make him a little recoil sensitive. And don't forget to tell him that rifles are like potato chips and most of us can't stop at 1.
Well I've told him most of his hunting is gonna be 300 yards or less but he and I both agree that if he needs to he needs to be able to take a shot at 400 or even 500. He wants to hunt with me so I obviously have no plans of hunting a brownie when I'm hunting with someone without extensive experience but one day we plan on it. But its mostly gonna be whitetails and black bears and some elk later on. I figure he will buy a few rifles once he realizes how much fun hunting is. Btw what's your guys' opinion on 300wsm that's the one I was thinking would be good.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:14 AM
Typical Buck

Is a good bit of range time factored into this equation anywhere?

Regardless of what rifle / cartridge is chosen.

Just asking.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:47 AM
Typical Buck

He needs something he can comfortably put a lot of rounds through if he is going to be shooting 300+ yards. There is something to be said for passing on even a great animal if one can't get close enough for a higher odds shot. There is no end to calibers that would do. Some of the mags and larger calibers might give more versatility if he is thinking of big bears and some African game. Cost and availability of ammo might be something to consider, though availability is poor at best for most anything as of late...
Old 08-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Spike

He will be getting some real practice in at the range before he goes for anything of distance. He already has an understanding of bullet drop. But like I've said I wouldn't want him going out to hunt grizzlys anytime soon but when it comes time for that he will probably buy another gun specifically for grizzlys.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can't beat the good old 300 Winchester magnum. It will do all that is asked and more. Ammo is carried by everybody if needed. I prefer the heavier bullets as they don't tear up the smaller game, and the difference in drop at longer ranges is negligable. The heavier bullet also carries more muzzle energy at longer ranges. It is an easy cartridge to reload, and feeds very well. You will not be disappointed with it.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by redgreen
You can't beat the good old 300 Winchester magnum. It will do all that is asked and more. Ammo is carried by everybody if needed. I prefer the heavier bullets as they don't tear up the smaller game, and the difference in drop at longer ranges is negligable. The heavier bullet also carries more muzzle energy at longer ranges. It is an easy cartridge to reload, and feeds very well. You will not be disappointed with it.
Thanks for the info what's the recoil like for the lighter bullets?
Old 08-10-2013, 12:41 PM
Typical Buck

A 300 Mag for a novice to learn fundamentals on?

Alrighty then..........,....
Old 08-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
A 300 Mag for a novice to learn fundamentals on?

Alrighty then..........,....
That was my main concern I don't think a 300 win mag should be his first gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.