Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Physical training status for elk hunting? >

Physical training status for elk hunting?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Physical training status for elk hunting?

Old 08-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do some research. That was only one site.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

Cardio and strength. You can't have too much of either.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Spike

Yeah, I've been doing alot of hiking up where I plan on hunting so I get some training in and some scouting done in one shot. I'm also training for a marathon and I throw some kettlebell workouts in for functional strength to help with all the heavy lifting and the like.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 08-09-2013, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am working on getting in shape for 2014 hunt. Training in central Al. Hitting the eliptical and walking up-down in a hilly area. By no means going to be ready for high altitude. Fortunately will be hunting at about 6000-7000 max. Go so much dam% weight to lose it is pitiful. Trying to work through an 45 year old knee injury from college football days (no ACL in my left knee + torn minicus repairs) and a torn achilles some 10 years back, with the other ione buldged (too dang much racquet ball). Going is tough and progress is slow. I hate to admit it, painful as heck. But I'll get to where I can and it'll be what it'll be.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Spike

I train in January-May to run the Tough Mudder in June, and then just keep up that workout through hunting season...then it's January again and start my training for another Tough Mudder.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Typical Buck

I do the stair-climber & this year I added in a rowing machine. I'll be ready come October. Forgot to add i chase grouse in September @ 11000'. That helps a bunch.

Try hiking up & down football bleechers. Bob
Old 09-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Easy at low altitude when you can drive your truck next to the kill.

PRETTY COOL Huh???? an don't tell me you wouldn't do it if it was possible!!! LOL!!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

At my age, it would be a no brainer. I'm still trying to find a hunting area I can do that.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Spike

I live about 200 yards from the Ocean on South Padre Island, Texas so I'm at zero elevation. The only hills I have around here are sand dunes and I do chase my kids around them. I'm hunting GMU 66 in three weeks and I've been doing the stair stepper, exercise bike and lunges at the gym for the last month. I also quit drinking beer and have lost 10 pounds so I'm feeling pretty good but I know I'm in for a challenge. I've got my pack down to 70 lbs and my plan is to just go slow and stay well hydrated to fight off the altitude sickness.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.