Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Colorado Archery Elk in GMU 74 >

Colorado Archery Elk in GMU 74

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado Archery Elk in GMU 74

Old 08-06-2013, 06:42 PM
Spike

Default Colorado Archery Elk in GMU 74

Hey guys, New to the site and have already picked up a lot of useful information. I'm starting to plan a 2014 elk hunt and have narrowed down the unit to 74 in the South San Juan Wilderness. Anybody have any recent experience in that unit. I've searched the Colorado Game and Fish site and have harvest reports and hunter numbers but I've never been out there. Kind of curious as to how crowded it gets and if it truly is possible to walk far enough to find a few elk to play the game. Also thinking of taking my own horses out if my dad goes along, bad knees and can't get around the best. He's always wanted to go, but I honestly don't think he could handle it but I'm trying to do what I can to make it happen for him. I'm not afraid to outwalk the next guy, that's what I usually do on other out of state hunts. Any help would be awesome. Thinking about right smack dab in the middle of the unit, looks like few roads and maybe the chance to get away from people.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:09 PM
RMA
Fork Horn

I would hunt the Hermosa Creek drainage area...most of the unit is good for elk hunting
Old 09-16-2015, 02:50 PM
Spike

Default 2014 hunt

How did your 2014 elk hunt in GMU 74 go? I'm planning a similar trip to the Hermosa Creek area in 2016 (no horses). Being from Florida I'm hitting the ground blind and would love some info on hunter pressure and habitat quality.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't hold your breath. The post was from 2013 and the guy has a total of 8 posts. Just someone who posts on all the sites to get info without giving anything back. Love for you to prove me wrong TrapperBo

Hmm, you have one post.....

Last edited by txhunter58; 09-17-2015 at 06:16 PM.