Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
giving up my elk/deer honey hole... >

giving up my elk/deer honey hole...

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

giving up my elk/deer honey hole...

Old 07-31-2013, 03:27 AM
Spike

Default giving up my elk/deer honey hole...

Recently my hunting partner moved and I drew a either sex for elk in my home state of Idaho. I found my honey hole about 2 yrs ago on accident and this year spent A LOT of my time and resources into this area. I have hundreds of pics on multiple game cameras of elk and deer, including bulls and a really nice buck. My buddy from work wants me to stay at his elk camp but this is the catch, he wants to hunt my spot with me. Other people from his camp also drew either sex but will be hunting in a different location but still close by. They are the kind of people that party hunt, dropping multiple animals depending on how many tags they have in camp. I AM NOT LIKE THIS! I told him my tag is my tag and if I don't fill it, someone else isn't filling it for me! I hate hunting by myself and like elk camp. Should I just show him my spot and maybe we both pull something out or find another spot? I'm torn, I'm not sure what to do.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:29 AM
Fork Horn

blindfold him and drive him.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:23 AM
Typical Buck

No right answers here -- or wrong ones either. It just depends on what you want more, it's an entirely personal decision. Good luck.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

How much do you value this persons friendship?
I share things w/hunting friends but also have a secret rule: If I put in all the time and effort finding a hot spot, I'm not going to just give it away.At least get a kill there yourself first. There's another thing to consider: Show this person your spot and at best,you'll be stuck sharing it w/them. Worse,your spot becomes the new hunting party hot spot. I wouldn't share yet.Good luck!
Old 07-31-2013, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hunting alone isn't a bad thing. You'll concentrate on the hunt much better.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:22 AM
Spike

Pulled this article from Idaho Game and Fish website:

From IFGD:

Idaho Falls Man Loses Hunting Privileges for Life:

Shooting five elk in one day has cost an Idaho Falls man his privilege to hunt for the rest of his life � not only in Idaho, but each of the 33 member states of the Wildlife Violator Compact.
On March 22, 2010 Jerry Ferguson, 54, pleaded guilty in Seventh District Court in Bonneville County to a felony charge of unlawfully killing five cow elk. In addition to the lifetime license revocation, Ferguson was ordered to pay $7,500 in civil restitution, plus court costs and serve 60 days in jail. A five-year formal probation was also imposed, with one to three years in prison for violation of the terms of probation.
On the morning of December 5, 2008, Ferguson killed an elk and tagged it with Rebecca Keller�s tag. Later the same day he killed another elk, but he didn�t stop there. He continued to hunt and in one last barrage of bullets, killed three more elk. Ferguson fired twenty-seven shots that day, killing five elk. To make matters worse, Ferguson didn�t field dress any of the last four elk he killed and left them on the mountain overnight. Although two of the four elk he killed that evening were recovered the next day, they all spoiled because of a lack of proper care.
�Jerry Ferguson�s actions that day showed a total disregard for wildlife laws and a complete disrespect for one of the big game animals that makes Idaho a place where sportsmen want to live,� Senior Conservation Officer Ryan Hilton said.

It might be a little awkward to explain, but I think you should stay as far away as possible from this joker and the 'other people'.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

He should have got 10 years with no parole.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ditto that Pete and castrate him just to make sure he doesn't pass along the rotten gene he obviously possesses! As far as the OP question I would not get close to that camp or that guy if that's the way they operate. Maybe show him that article and what can happen to poachers/cheaters!!!
Old 07-31-2013, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

If you want to keep your spot hunt alone. I got burned a few years ago when I took a friend into an area because he couldn't find any elk. When muzzleloader came around him and 3 of his friends were hunting there. Since then I hunt alone and won't tell anybody where I hunt.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

"My buddy from work"

Unless this guy is your best friend who you know will never tell another sole about your spot, hunt alone. Otherwise you run the risk of being overrun when you both pull some good animals out and he tells his other "buddy from work" about the spot who tells two people, who tell two people............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.