HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   30/30 and elk ??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/383381-30-30-elk.html)

WNYhunter 07-27-2013 01:46 PM

30/30 and elk ???

Well I have a buddy who's 13 yo son drew a Co. elk tag this year. He is kinda on the small side and cant control my buddys 7mm. So, I offered up my 30/30 for him to use. After all I believe the 30/30 has taken down more animals then anything else.

But, I also have a 30/06 he could try. I know the importance of being comfortable with your weapon but have you guys with kids let them get by for one or two shots on sticks with 2 big of a gun (not recoil wise) or take the shorter range 30/30 that fits him good? Going out and buying a youth model is not an option. I also have like 10 boxes of 165 gr bullets for the 30/30, would these be a good elk round?

Topgun 3006 07-27-2013 03:49 PM

The 30-30 and the bullets that are made for it are not really for game bigger than a good sized deer. The 30-30 has taken more deer than probably any caliber other than possibly the 30-06, but elk is a different story. If he has to use it, the shots should be broadside or slightly quartering away into the lungs at under 100 yards and they need to be prepared for a probable tracking job that could be difficult depending on the terrain where they will be hunting. If it were me, I would have the kid start with the 30-30 on the range and then put him behind the 30-06 and possible start him on the latter with light loads that are available and work him on up to what he can handle comfortably. The old timers have always said that an elk should be hit with 1500 ft/lbs of energy at POI and there are really no 30-30 rounds that will produce that effect at much over 100 yards. Depending on the 30-30 being used it's possible that it might have as much or more recoil effect on the kid than a 30-06 with a proper pad for him. Even a cow elk is much bigger than any deer and they can take a pretty good poke, but if a bullet is put through both lungs they don't go too far. A bull is much bigger and takes even more pop to bring him down. The problem with the 30-30 is getting a bullet through both lungs because if you just get a bullet into one lung an elk can go forever before it dies.

WNYhunter 07-27-2013 04:42 PM

topgun, thanks for the reply. The problem is, is the kid can handle the recoil of the 06 the gun is just to big for him to handle easily. I get what you are saying about penetration with the 30/30. Mabey the 06 is the way to go, he is just going to have to practice using sticks or a tri pod.

Wilcam47 07-27-2013 04:57 PM

I think a 30/30 would be plenty good under 100yds...just make sure its a good side/vital shot...all you really need it to do is penetrate lungs/heart/liver...it doesn't need to go through to do damage...Ive heard of guys shooting an elk with a compound bow out past 70yds...so I think a 30/30 would be fine...

Blackelk 07-28-2013 04:05 AM

I've killed elk myself with a 30-30 enough said.

Muley Hunter 07-28-2013 06:39 AM

When I was 12 years old my dad got me a Winchester 94 in 30/30. I liked the gun so much I used it for 58 years on mule deer and elk. I never lost an animal, and I hunted every year since getting the gun.

I never took long shots being a still hunter, and I never took anything but double lung shots. I used the 170gr Partition bullet.

The 30/30 in more gun than most guys realize, but you need to be selective in the shots you take.

Jorgy 07-28-2013 08:10 AM

I wouldn't have a problem with a 30/30, dad should be right next to him the whole time anyway so he will hold off any hail mary shots type shots anyway.

With my oldest boy the first few years he hunted I bought reduced recoil loads for practicing, then would sight in the gun with normal shells (it was always really close anyway), and that his what he would use for hunting. When shooting while hunting he didn't notice any difference. He didn't know I did that until a few years after when his little brother started to hunt and I did the same with him.

Colorado Luckydog 07-28-2013 08:26 AM

With the right bullet, I think you would have plenty of velocity and energy out to 200 yards with a 30/30. He needs to get some practice out to that distance though.

Topgun 3006 07-28-2013 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog (Post 4069405)
With the right bullet, I think you would have plenty of velocity and energy out to 200 yards with a 30/30. He needs to get some practice out to that distance though.

***Not really out at 200 if you look at the 30-30 ballistics. Four of the best bullets out there are the 170 grain Winchester Silvertip, the 160 grain Hornady FTX, the 150 grain Sierra FNSP and the 170 grain Sierra FNSP. Handloading these as close to max as possible and still being safe only leaves 846, 1078, 961, and 1009 ft/lbs., respectively out at 200 yards and with 0 at 100 yards those loads will be slowing down so badly that they will be anywhere from 4.8 to 7.5 inches low at 200 yards. This is with handloads and it would be impossible to buy any factory loads that would replicate close to those levels. That's why I stated that the boy needs to stay close to the 100 yard range to better his chances of a humane kill on an elk with that gun. The OP stated the boy can shoot the 30-06 and it's available, so that's really what he should use off of a good rest like the OP mentioned and he should get plenty of practice doing that under actual field conditions to lessen the possibilities of a booboo. Actually, IMHO everyone of any age should do that type of practice and be using a good rest of some sort, be it a bi or tripod, shooting sticks, etc.

Muley Hunter 07-28-2013 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006 (Post 4069428)
***Not really out at 200 if you look at the 30-30 ballistics. Four of the best bullets out there are the 170 grain Winchester Silvertip, the 160 grain Hornady FTX, the 150 grain Sierra FNSP and the 170 grain Sierra FNSP. Handloading these as close to max as possible and still being safe only leaves 846, 1078, 961, and 1009 ft/lbs., respectively out at 200 yards and with 0 at 100 yards those loads will be slowing down so badly that they will be anywhere from 4.8 to 7.5 inches low at 200 yards. This is with handloads and it would be impossible to buy any factory loads that would replicate close to those levels. That's why I stated that the boy needs to stay close to the 100 yard range to better his chances of a humane kill on an elk with that gun. The OP stated the boy can shoot the 30-06 and it's available, so that's really what he should use off of a good rest like the OP mentioned and he should get plenty of practice doing that under actual field conditions to lessen the possibilities of a booboo. Actually, IMHO everyone of any age should do that type of practice and be using a good rest of some sort, be it a bi or tripod, shooting sticks, etc.

Not quite. Hornady LeverRevolution is 1300lbs at 200 yds. Not that I recommend a 200yd shot. I always kept mine under 125 yds.

http://www.hornady.com/store/30-30-W...EVERevolution/