Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Best State in the US for resident Hunting >

Best State in the US for resident Hunting

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best State in the US for resident Hunting

Old 07-27-2013, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Chopayne
Maybe sell off those pref points (in Oregon you can, well kind of) and then use that money toward a paid hunt.
Montana points are "bonus points", not preference points. The bonus points just mean that they enter your name into the drawing the number of times that you have bonus points. A year or two ago they changed it so that they "square" your number of bonus points.

So if you have 10 bonus points, they would enter your name into the drawing 100 times, just like they do with everyone else's points. Your odds of drawing are better than someone with less points, but every year first time applicants do draw.

As far as I know, the points are NOT transferable.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:50 AM
Typical Buck

Yes, Wyoming is a great hunting state for residents. Not so much for nonresidents. For someone looking to relocate to WY for the great outdoor opportunities be aware, there isn't much work here unless your line of work involves growing something or mining something.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
Yes, Wyoming is a great hunting state for residents. Not so much for nonresidents. For someone looking to relocate to WY for the great outdoor opportunities be aware, there isn't much work here unless your line of work involves growing something or mining something.
You have got to be kidding me, as Wyoming is probably the most NR friendly state out west! Where else can you get a tag every year for a buck mulie, a buck whitetail, 4 doe deer tags, two buck antelope tags, 4 doe antelope tags, and 2 cow tags without any PPs? Then throw in being able to buy a leftover bull tag in some areas every year if you can get on land to hunt them and a general tag good for bulls in many units throughout the state about every other year with 1 PP and it doesn't get any better anywhere! This year I'm hunting deer, elk, and antelope and all the tags are leftovers that I didn't even have to draw for!
Old 08-02-2013, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

Holy crap talk about a thread going south.. the OP was asking about which state do we think is best for RESIDENT hunting opportunities... so here goes since I am a RESIDENT of Washington I can only speak for RESIDENT hunts in Washington State, here you can get OTC tags for both deer and elk along with bear, cat and small game licenses...there are draw opportunities for antlerless deer and elk as well as quality deer and elk draws...moose, sheep and goat are draw only and many have waited 15/20 years or more to draw! Again I can not speak for any other state as I would not be a RESIDENT of that state and so there for not really interested in the RESIDENT requirements of any other state as they would not apply to me!!! just saying...........................
Old 08-02-2013, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

It doesn't matter. OP disappeared.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Typical Buck

Before I moved to WY and had to get my tags as a nonresident I considered it a pain in the arse. That's where my opinion about WY comes from.

I was building PPs for moose as a nonresident at the rate of 7 bucks a point. One year the G&F jacked it to 75 bucks a point. I quit on the points right there. Not that I couldn't afford it but because I hate being gouged.

Now the WY G&F wants an increase in license fees but the legislature turned them down. They now have to cut back on some trivial fringe services. We all need to learn to tighten our belts in lean times instead of just demanding more money.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

FYI the WYG&F is doing more than just "cutting back on trivial fringe services" because of the need for more money due to the increased cost of doing business, inflation, and other demands placed on the Department that they don't receive much, if any, funding for!!! You might want to study the budget and what they do with the money they take in before you make statements like you're making because they probably do more with the funding they receive than any western state. Less than 8% of their funding is from the General Fund and most comes from license fees, PP fees, etc. The bulk of the funding comes from NRs just like most other states.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 08-03-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
It doesn't matter. OP disappeared.
I'm enjoying this regardless.I've been thinking seriously about moving to Cheyenne.Got a friend I can stay w/until I get established.Trying to tie up loose ends first but still keeping an eye on job potential.Nice to hear what residents have to say.