Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Best State in the US for resident Hunting >

Best State in the US for resident Hunting

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best State in the US for resident Hunting

Old 07-26-2013, 12:30 PM
Typical Buck

Don't pick Montana if you're thinking of drawing a quick moose tag. I've had the maximum number of "bonus points" for moose, sheep, and goats every year since they started that program.

As of this year, I'm 26 straight years without drawing a moose tag, 31 years without a sheep, and 36 years without drawing a goat. This year is also the first year in about 20 that I haven't drawn an antelope tag.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:13 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Chopayne
Im in the military so I can keep my DL, but are others not allowed to keep their DL in their home state and live elsewhere?

I dont know how residency law works
If you are in the military then Wyoming has an exception for that. I'm not sure how that part works but I think you can claim residency if you are based here in Wyoming which I firmly believe any military member should get that benefit no matter what.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most states allow active military personnel to apply for resident tags in the state they are based in and I agree that is the way it should be!
Old 07-26-2013, 11:42 PM
Fork Horn

Yup, ive been accruing them in my home state. Maybe I shouldve bought a house in wyomng and started residence there. Guess that wouldve been smarter. Oh well ill just pay $1000's more when the time comes to moose hunt.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:42 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by buffybr
Don't pick Montana if you're thinking of drawing a quick moose tag. I've had the maximum number of "bonus points" for moose, sheep, and goats every year since they started that program.

As of this year, I'm 26 straight years without drawing a moose tag, 31 years without a sheep, and 36 years without drawing a goat. This year is also the first year in about 20 that I haven't drawn an antelope tag.
Maybe sell off those pref points (in Oregon you can, well kind of) and then use that money toward a paid hunt.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:16 AM
Typical Buck

It's not really a tough thing to figure out: In WY it's expensive to hunt unless you're a resident, which takes too long to become one IMO.

I can't afford the OTC cow tag. I'm a teacher. This year it's doe antelope, water fowl, doves and maybe doe deer in Nebraska. It's just too expenseive.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:04 AM
Spike

I understand that the tags are expensive. I wish Wyoming would do a preference point system for residents when applying for limited deer, elk and antelope. I think this would help bring down some of the non residents prices as well. But I guess that's why I'm not the commissioner or the state governor
Old 07-27-2013, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just so you all know. He hasn't been back to the forum since the 4th post a week ago.

Don't you just love that?
Old 07-27-2013, 08:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Just so you all know. He hasn't been back to the forum since the 4th post a week ago.

Don't you just love that?
***He's probably out "4wheelin"!
Old 07-27-2013, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Jbergy
I understand that the tags are expensive. I wish Wyoming would do a preference point system for residents when applying for limited deer, elk and antelope. I think this would help bring down some of the non residents prices as well. But I guess that's why I'm not the commissioner or the state governor

***Actually it's my understanding that in G&F surveys the majority of resident respondents do not want a PP system. IMHO they are smart, because if the popular units don't have many tags so the turnaround is just a few years it just results in point creep and more money spent waiting for a tag. Even if they did establish a PP system for residents the best it would do might be to slow down the NR price increases, but it will never bring them down from where they are now. The cow tag price for NRs is crazy and if they want to thin the herds in some areas they should drop the price of a tag.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.