Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Best State in the US for resident Hunting >

Best State in the US for resident Hunting

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best State in the US for resident Hunting

Old 07-21-2013, 05:59 AM
Typical Buck

Pa. is a state that has easy access for resident hunters. only thing on a lottery system is elk tags. this is because we only have a limited number of elk and tags for them.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:30 AM
Typical Buck

One more thing about Wyoming. If you move here, you are not a resident for a year, as far as Game and Fish is concerned. It really interrupts your hunting, unless you're rich.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Your question is a fantasy.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by always4wheelin2
Im curious to see what people's opinions are when it comes to what state in the contiguous US 48 states is the best for resident hunting.

What I mean by that is what state allows it's residents the easiest access to tags without a lottery system. A state that offers multiple species of animals (Whitetail Deer, Mule Deer, Moose, and/or Elk). And a state that is easy for Do It Yourself hunts. I am in a unique situation here where I have several options on where to move for my next jobs and I want to move to a very hunter friendly state with plenty of access to big game hunting. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Scratch Alaska off your list if you're looking for easy. There's nothing easy about hunting up here. There's a lot of opportunities in Alaska but they're expensive, time consuming, back-breaking, and/or require extensive logistics and preparation.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:00 PM
Spike

Montana because as a resident you can hunt big bucks for 5 weeks on a genenal tag almost statewide. No need for outfitters as a non resident, plenty of dandies on public land.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Murdy
I would have to guess Alaska, but that brings a lot of other considerations along with it beyond hunting.

(I thought Wyoming didn't have a point system for residents??)
***There is no PP system for Wyoming residents for deer, elk, or antelope, but there is for moose and sheep. All my comments were for NRs.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by DJfan
One more thing about Wyoming. If you move here, you are not a resident for a year, as far as Game and Fish is concerned. It really interrupts your hunting, unless you're rich.
***It doesn't really cause that much of a problem since you can still buy NR licenses until you have lived there a year to qualify as a resident. Being rich doesn't have anything to do with it since there are no outfitter sponsored tags in Wyoming nor are landowner licenses transferable.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
***It doesn't really cause that much of a problem since you can still buy NR licenses until you have lived there a year to qualify as a resident. Being rich doesn't have anything to do with it since there are no outfitter sponsored tags in Wyoming nor are landowner licenses transferable.
The rich part has to do with the guide situation. You are a lot more experienced here than I am, but the general elk tags seem to be a good option for residents, but not an option I can afford now.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by DJfan
The rich part has to do with the guide situation. You are a lot more experienced here than I am, but the general elk tags seem to be a good option for residents, but not an option I can afford now.
***The general tag is fantastic for residents since it's an OTC license and allows you to hunt in a number of units. NRs can do the same thing on their general tag, but it usually takes a PP or better to draw it and that means you may only hunt every other year or once every threee years for a bull. That is still much better than most of the other states, except for CO that has a bunch of OTC tags and Idaho has some on a first come first served basis. I'm still not really following you on your rich and outfitter comments, so please send me a PM to explain if you don't mind.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Spike

Wyoming does have a point system only for moose and bighorn sheep. Anything else there are no points issued, but it really isn't that hard to draw pretty much any tag you want (that is elk, antelope and mule deer of course) there are some exceptions to these for some areas which hold pretty good trophies in them but you should be able to draw within two to three years on some of the harder tags.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.