Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Best State in the US for resident Hunting >

Best State in the US for resident Hunting

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best State in the US for resident Hunting

Old 07-20-2013, 06:31 AM
Spike

Default Best State in the US for resident Hunting

Im curious to see what people's opinions are when it comes to what state in the contiguous US 48 states is the best for resident hunting.

What I mean by that is what state allows it's residents the easiest access to tags without a lottery system. A state that offers multiple species of animals (Whitetail Deer, Mule Deer, Moose, and/or Elk). And a state that is easy for Do It Yourself hunts. I am in a unique situation here where I have several options on where to move for my next jobs and I want to move to a very hunter friendly state with plenty of access to big game hunting. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2013, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wyoming is about as good as it gets, but I don't think you'll find any state that has easy to get moose tags. Those tags generally take a number of years to draw in most states that have a huntable population.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:21 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Wyoming is about as good as it gets, but I don't think you'll find any state that has easy to get moose tags. Those tags generally take a number of years to draw in most states that have a huntable population.

What do you like about Wyoming? How does things work there? What are the main animals there?
Old 07-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's a hunter friendly state where a person can buy up to 4 doe antelope tags, 4 doe deer tags, a buck mule deer tag, a buck whitetail deer tag, 2 buck antelope tags, 2 cow elk tags and a chance every year in the random draws for a moose, sheep, bull elk, or mountain goat tag. Also, if you buy an elk Preference Point you can normally draw a bull elk tag every other year with one PP to hunt a number of good units throughout the state for that tag too.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kentucky and Tennesse seem to have a long Deer Season and plenty of Deer to shoot...plus I think Kentucky has Elk....were building up an Elk Herd here in MO but it will be several more years before any type of drawing!
Old 07-20-2013, 06:47 PM
Spike

I agree with topgun 3006! I live in Wyoming love it here. There is also a lot of public land available. If you like DIY hunts Wyoming has a lot of wilderness areas available that you can hunt in and get away from the large crowds, it just depends on how hard and dedicated you want to be. Plus you can hunt elk pretty much every year if you buy over the counter general bull tag. It doesn't get much better than that.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Please realize that Jbergy is talking about a resident of Wyoming in his post. The only negative thing about Wyoming is the requirement that a nonresident must have a licensed guide to hunt big game in wilderness areas. That will cost big bucks unless you have a resident friend that can apply to the G&F for a free permit to take up to two people a year into wilderness areas, but they may not receive any kind of compensation for doing it.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Spike

Not Wisconsin...
Old 07-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Spike

I would imagine that a lot of places out west would be good.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:09 PM
Typical Buck

I would have to guess Alaska, but that brings a lot of other considerations along with it beyond hunting.

[Edit: sorry, my attention span is apparently too short to have recalled that you limited the question to the contiguous 48]

(I thought Wyoming didn't have a point system for residents??)

Last edited by Murdy; 07-21-2013 at 08:22 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.