Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Hunting boots vs. PAC boots >

Hunting boots vs. PAC boots

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hunting boots vs. PAC boots

Old 10-06-2016, 10:54 PM
Spike

I not Hunting in Colorado, i have personally hunted in Chicago. The boots need good support and the best tread you can get - I agree with it. Recently, I found an article from jonsguide. I really liked Kenetrek Men’s Mountain Extreme Ni Hunting Boot.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

They have definitely blurred the line between the two. For me a pac boot has a rubber/water PROOF bottom and a removable wool/felt liner. They are designed for minimal walking an mostly sitting in snow. I always have an extra felt liner and trade them out daily to dry

I hunt Colorado every year, and if hunting when it may snow, I will take the pacs, but hardly ever them. That said, I normally hunt in September or early October.

In archery/muzzleloading hunts in September, I take a light pair of uninsulated gore tex boots and a 400 gm insulated. That covers me for any situation. I used to wear a sock liner, but since the introduction of merino wool, I just use one of them. Thinner in the summer/warmer weather, and thicker for colder weather. They are comfortable and haven't caused any blisters (unless your boot isn't broken in)
Old 10-07-2016, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by TomHaas
I not Hunting in Colorado, i have personally hunted in Chicago.
This dude is a troll! What exactly can be hunted in Chicago, home of the strictest gun control in the land. And why did he revive a thread that has been idle for 13 years?
Old 10-07-2016, 04:07 PM
Spike

I have lived in Michigan all my life ( 70yrs ) and a pac boot has a felt liner you can remove and dry as txhunter58 said flags he most be a troll !!
Old 10-17-2016, 01:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I take Pak boots...

in the cold wet with snow. Leather boots usually get bypassed by me in such weather. Rubber bottoms work better in snow and dampness.
Last year, I experimented with uninsulated military boots, with wool socks, and put on gaiters made of wool felt, to protect the feet against any snow. It was snowless, but my feet stayed warm in 7 degree weather. The conditions gave some winter use to non-insulated summer boots. Gaiters are important wear in winter conditions, They give me options.
Leather boots in the fall; pak boots in snowy conditions; leather boots with wool felt gaiters when conditions can change suddenly.
Never one boot setup for all conditions.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pac boots are for deep snow........................ just short of needing snowshoes !
Old 10-19-2016, 12:05 PM
Typical Buck

Packs for long times of sitting in cold weather especially snow and cold Hunting boots for walking, short periods of sitting in cold, this is experience from 51 years of being out in Wisconsin winters !