Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Musk Ox Hunt Booked

Old 05-10-2013, 05:16 AM
Fork Horn

Well I believe I read to hunt in Alaska alone, you need to have lived there as a resident for a year, otherwise you need to take a guide.

Hmm you are making me rethink, my options. Wondering how much more Canada would end up being with customs taxes and all those little things. I was also thinking that Alaska was awash with animals running around and deer chasing little bunnies but I guess that's not the case.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff,

Been following your thread since the beginning. Not interested in Musk Ox hunting. But, I have become interested in your candid answers to all questions and comments. Your account of actual hunting conditions and requirements are far different than those portrayed on television especially the "reality" TV B.S.

Just want to say a sincere "thank you" for the thread.

Good luck.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Chopayne
Well I believe I read to hunt in Alaska alone, you need to have lived there as a resident for a year, otherwise you need to take a guide.

Hmm you are making me rethink, my options. Wondering how much more Canada would end up being with customs taxes and all those little things. I was also thinking that Alaska was awash with animals running around and deer chasing little bunnies but I guess that's not the case.
Not true. Non-resident U.S. citizens are required to have guides or relative residents within the second degree of kindred in order to hunt Dall sheep, mountain goats, or brown/grizzly bears. Non-resident aliens are required to hire guides to hunt any big game species in Alaska. Non-resident U.S. citizens can hunt moose, caribou, musk ox, black bear, elk, deer, wolf, and bison unguided in Alaska.

In terms of musk ox specifically then you're probably much better off looking at Canada. All ox hunts (with the exception of registration and Tier 2) in Alaska are by permit drawing. You don't need to draw an ox tag to go hunting in Nunavut, Canada. For other species you can almost certainly figure out a DIY hunt in Alaska that would be cheaper than a guided hunt in Canada.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rogerstv
Jeff,

Been following your thread since the beginning. Not interested in Musk Ox hunting. But, I have become interested in your candid answers to all questions and comments. Your account of actual hunting conditions and requirements are far different than those portrayed on television especially the "reality" TV B.S.

Just want to say a sincere "thank you" for the thread.

Good luck.
You're welcome. I just like telling things the way they are. Alaska is probably one of the most misunderstood states in the U.S. and the recent flood of Alaskan "reality" TV doesn't help. Like I said before, there's some great opportunities in Alaska, they just very rarely ever come easy.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:56 PM
Fork Horn

You mean Sarah Palins show isn't an accurate depiction of all Alaskans?
Old 05-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Spike

Thumbs up

Would the price in Canada also be around 6,000$? Muskoxen are wonderful, and their horns are just fantastic.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Eddygp
Would the price in Canada also be around 6,000$? Muskoxen are wonderful, and their horns are just fantastic.
Originally Posted by iamyourhuckleberry
I did a musk ox hunt on Victoria Island, NWT, Canada for around $6000, when it was all said and done.
According to "iamyourhuckleberry" yes.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

I about had a heart attack a couple days ago when I heard that the state was closing one of the musk ox hunts next year due to poaching. Luckily for me it was a Tier 2 hunt near Kotzebue that was closed, and not my permit area on Nunivak, but it's still very unfortunate that somebody decided to shoot five cow musk ox and then just left them to rot.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap...05-15-2013.pdf
Old 05-26-2013, 03:29 AM
Fork Horn

Kinda crazy why someone would do that. I would atleast take them for meat or fur.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:36 AM
Fork Horn

Did you end up going on this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.