Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Hunting Stories 2003

Old 09-23-2003, 09:01 AM

Default Elk Hunting Stories 2003

Haven' t heard much bugling this year so far here in MT.2 weeks ago I got into a small herd with a young bull and some cows.Called to agressive and he left the country with the cows.A week later called in a 6x that came in closed mouth and missing an antler.I let him walk and wish I had shot him now he was 20 yds. broadside.Hope to go out this week and weekend again.Spent last week scouting out new areas.Old sign.Mabe lower because of all the fires.The elk I have seen are much lower than normal.Good Luck and Good Hunting.
George
Old 09-23-2003, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk Hunting Stories 2003

Hear is one for ya,
On friday night we were heading to camp,and right by the road was a 6x7 bull,just standing not worried one bit about us.Neither me nor the guy I was with had brought our bows.We were bear hunting and as luck wold have it all we saw were elk and deer,some good white-tail.All the elk we saw were between 4000 to 4800 ft of elev.Saw three bulls with cows and never heard a bugle.Not even at night,it was odd to say the least.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:21 PM

Buddy of mine took this Idaho bull on 9/18/03 around 5:30pm. Bull was pissed and screaming his guts out. Banging on some brush and cutting him off with the Primos Hyper Lip bugle and that sweet sweet sound of the Hoochie Mama brought this bull to 10yds. Arrow through both lungs and 50yds later it was over. Enjoy!

Old 09-23-2003, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks Nice!!! Bugel
It looks like you guys are getting ready to do some work with those packs.
Old 09-23-2003, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is my elk hunting stories for the year

Couldn' t get crap except cows within range of smoke pole. I called in a 5x5 4 times over 2 days but he would always hang up about 100 yards away where I couldn' t get a shot.

I did get a little 4x4 mulie though. Atleast there will be venison to eat, as long as my CWD comes back negative
Old 09-23-2003, 08:11 PM

I posted part of this story somewhere else, but I guess this topic/subject is a more appropriate place for it...
I was in the Montrose Co area last week and took a decent 5x5 with the muzzleloader. I had a few different bulls going earlier in the week, but only a few showed themselves. Tuesday morning at about 4:30 I was " doing my thing" outside at camp and heard a bull go down below us, close to where I saw a 5x5 the day before. I made up my mind where I was going right then. Took off and got to the area I wanted to sit and he let out a few close screams before shooting light. Finally at light, all I did was one or two cow calls and he got pretty stirred up. He then shut down for a bit then we started bugling back and forth for about 20+ minutes, but I would only bugle after he did, I' d never start up if it was quiet for a while. He shut down completely at about 7:15 and I cow called a few times over the next half hour and never heard a peep, but twice I did hear a branch break so I thought he was still below me. At about 7:50 I thought to myself that I was going to try one short bugle, with no chuckle...just a short bugle. I could still hear the echo roll down the drainage from the call and I could see his rack come strutting up from below. He stopped at about 80 yards and peered back and forth...a couple more steps and I cracked him behind the chest (a little high) and he side stepped twice and dropped like a ton of bricks. Not real huge, but nice long eye gaurds and I' m as happy as a bull in a wallow!

It all came together last Tuesday.

Old 09-23-2003, 08:46 PM

My story was almost a " what not to do" type, camped at around 5000ft, got 5inches of snow and no sign so we decided to move down, a Griz and her cub spooked our mule team so bad(first time the mules had been around bear) that one pack mule tore off threw the woods for about a mile stringin our camp gear throughout the area and hurt his leg. We had to rig packs up to our saddle mules and hike out 15 miles[:-][]. Finally seen a set of antlers back at the ppick up where a forked horn Mulie was eating our left over hay[:-]. Oh well that won' t keep me from comin' back to the Little Belts come Oct. It will keep the mules from comin' though It might not have been the funnest trip but to all you Montanan' s, I envy you for being able to live in such a BEAUTIFUL state. And yall got some of the nicest folks too
Old 09-24-2003, 07:31 AM

Whitetails & Muskies:

Boy that is a great story - congrats - it gets my heart thumping just reading. I am headed to CO (Rifle CO) due north of Montrose in just shy of three weeks now. First hunt in CO. Throw a photo in if you can.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had a close but no cigar season. I called in a 6x6 early in the season that hung up out of range. I have been close to cows several times but could never get a shot. The last herd I was close to had a good 6x7 bull in it. I never had a chance at him. His lead cow almost took an arrow. If she would have taken two more steps she would have been in the open & broadside. They winded me & bolted out of there. I will go out thursday & try my luck one last time for the season.
I have had 12-close encounters with elk this season. I hope 13-is a lucky number for me next time?
Old 09-24-2003, 11:16 AM

MY STORY MAY NOT BE TOO EXCITING TO MOST OF YOU, BUT IT WAS A BLAST FOR ME!!
MY DAD AND I WENT ON OUR FIRST BOW HUNT FOR ELK THIS YEAR. ON 9-16-03 I KILLED MY FIRST ELK! IT WAS A BIG COW. SHE SLIPPED IN QUIET WHILE I WAS WAITING ON A BULL THAT WAS BUGLING AND GROWLING AS HE CAME MY WAY. THE BEST I COULD TELL, HE WAS STILL ABOUT 400-500 YARDS OUT. THE COW PRESENTED AN OPPORTUNITY SO I GLADLY TOOK IT!
SHE WAS LOOKING, AND HEADING, DIRECTLY TOWARDS WHERE MY DAD WAS CALLING FROM AND I BELIEVE IF I WOULD HAVE WAITED FOR THE BULL, SHE WOULD HAVE BUSTED US.
WE HAD A GREAT TIME AND WE HAVE MEAT FOR THE FREEZER!!
GOD CERTAINLY BLESSED US WITH A GREAT TRIP!!
I CAN' T WAIT ' TILL NEXT YEAR!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Elk Hunting Stories 2003

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.