HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Elk Mount (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/379915-elk-mount.html)

buffybr 03-18-2013 08:50 PM

Nice bull, congrats

HDMontana 03-22-2013 06:44 AM

Very nice. Congrats. HD.

fastetti 03-22-2013 02:12 PM

Great Mount Zim. Not sure if those are your trucks I'm seeing in Chicago lately. Had one right by my place in Madison the other day. Got me scratching my head if it was you or not.

jfarleyx 03-22-2013 05:24 PM

Nice bull! Congrats. I'm going on my first elk hunt in Colorado this fall. 5 day drop camp and hunt from horseback. Really looking forward to it.

Zim 03-25-2013 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by fastetti (Post 4045537)
Great Mount Zim. Not sure if those are your trucks I'm seeing in Chicago lately. Had one right by my place in Madison the other day. Got me scratching my head if it was you or not.

Haha no those are not my trucks! :) I was working in the burbs last summer and saw one coming, and had my camera in hand, so I took a photo. Can't believe some company stole my handle! :mad:

Hookedhornhunter 03-26-2013 07:24 AM

Way to go he is a nice one.

Zim 03-26-2013 01:29 PM

Problem

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a good view of the problem. The taxidermist mounted this on a regular form, instead of an antler clearance form.

I don't know what to do. It is screwed up. The rack should be tilted back at about 30 degrees, rather than parallel to the muzzle. When it is displayed next to my other two elk, this one will look very funny.

SakoBavarian 03-27-2013 07:18 PM

awesome mount, elk is on my bucket list. I'm not a huge fan of the mounts where the heads are turned to the side but I'd never seen one done like that. I'm very impressed!

SakoBavarian 03-27-2013 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Zim (Post 4043239)
Main Beams 52 6/8 & 50 0/8
Inside spread 42 5/8
Brow tines avg. 14 4/8
Swords 15 6/8 & 17 1/8

Was looking at this guy tryng to maneuver in home unsuccessfully, then noticed my coming moose rack is 8" wider that this! :( Neither can get past my living room. Good thing I'm already divorced.

When I was at taxidermist he showed me a 425 bull. But then rolls his eyes and mentions it was farm raised in Illinois, then shipped up to a fenced hunting ranch in Saskatchewan to be "hunted".

are people actually aware that they're shooting farmed deer that have been moved or do the outfitters do the old switcheroo on em before the hunt and then say to the hunter "Gosh look at that monster we stumbled on"?

SakoBavarian 03-27-2013 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Zim (Post 4046411)
Here's a good view of the problem. The taxidermist mounted this on a regular form, instead of an antler clearance form.

I don't know what to do. It is screwed up. The rack should be tilted back at about 15 degrees, rather than parallel to the muzzle. When it is displayed next to my other two elk, this one will look very funny.

I see what you mean. Great definition on the face though of the mount. Nice whitetail in the background too!