Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Importance of bear control, taking a pistol when hunting and so on >

Importance of bear control, taking a pistol when hunting and so on

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Importance of bear control, taking a pistol when hunting and so on

Old 03-23-2013, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

Have i used bear spray no,will i? no thats just me.My problem with bear spray is.Every year people from all over the world come to this beautiful area.Disneyland with trees.They know nothing about our wild animals.ive pulled people away from trying to pet buffalo and rutting bull elk.Im sure you have seen this to in the park.So they come out here with no common sence,somebody says you need bear spray so they buy a 8oz can instead of a 16oz can cause it costs alot.Nobody shows them how to use it or when to use it.So mom dad and the kids go for a walk,they run into a bear guess its time to read the instructions.Now as you know a grizzle looks like a tank at thirty yards,and at 30 feet when the spray is effective they look like king cong. I bet when the bear gets to 30 feet most people dont have any spray left Also like you i wish we could hunt them i think it makes them less aggressive.Am i afraid of them,lets just say like the vc and nva in nam i have ahealthy respect for thier capabilitys deepcreek
Old 03-24-2013, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

Uhm there are many statistics that report bear spray is far more effective than a gun. They far outnumber anything which would claim that a pistol is more effective.

I think its something like 90% effective bear spray to a 50% handgun effectiveness.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:12 AM
Typical Buck

Deepcreek, I absolutely agree with you. I think the majority of visitors to the Yellowstone area have never seen a grizzly bear, elk, or buffalo in the wild before. All they have ever seen is the cute, cuddly, furry or docile animals on the Disney type channels. Every year in Yellowstone some of these people find out the hard way that it ain't so.

The problem is that many of these same people have probably never shot a pistol before either. And many of the people that have shot a pistol can't hit anything with them, especially in a emergency situation.

And no, at 30 yds bear spray is not effective at stopping a bear. But I also know that at 20 feet, a "warning shot" from a .44 magnum fired over the head or into a tree next a grizzly will not scare him away, but throw and hit him with a tennis ball size rock at that distance will make him run away.

It would probably require a brain or spine shot with a bullet to stop a charging bear at 20 ft. It would take cool nerves and an above than average marksman (or just plain lucky!) to make that shot with a pistol.

However, it would be much easier and the odds are better of the average person hitting a charging bear in the face at 20 ft with a blast of pepper spray. And a face full of pepper spray at 20 ft will turn a charging bear.

And like Deepdreek also pointed out, you have to know how to operate and be familiar with your pepper spray or pistol before you get into an emergency situation and need it. Your spray can or pistol must also be readily available for instant use, not packed somewhere in your daypack.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default stastics

Chopayne heres how stastics work.I interview two people ,i go on the six oclock news and report that fifty percent of the people i interviewed in the U.S.A. recently claim they dont wear underwear
Old 03-24-2013, 08:35 PM
Fork Horn

Smile bearspray

buffybr i agree most people cant shoot a pistol ,but how many know how to use bear spray ? I think the forest and park service should give classes on proper use.Maybe a short film of a charging grizz at 20ft,when to spray, how to spray and how to carry for quick acess.Myself being hard headed ill carry my 44 and if i feel the chances of encounter are good ill bring my 450 marlin with 405 grn hardcast.Its funny but every time ive seen the park boys walk in to duck creek or cougar creek they are always packing rifles,must be a do as i say thing!Any way not being in the habit of carring big rocks around and due to the price of ammo,illnot be fireing warning shots.At 20 ft ill be between my 4th and 5th shot,if hes stil on his feet number 6 decides if im bear crap.Its worked so far.I guess why im so hard headed about guns is in my 66 years guns guns have saved my butt several times i feel safe when i have one.Not being the bravest man nor the smartest ill stick with what i know and feel safe with.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by deepcreek
Chopayne heres how stastics work.I interview two people ,i go on the six oclock news and report that fifty percent of the people i interviewed in the U.S.A. recently claim they dont wear underwear
I won't disagree that statistics are skewed alot of times.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:19 PM
Typical Buck

Ok, for all you bear spray proponents, what happens when your in your tent or the wind is blowing 30mph?
Old 03-31-2013, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Buckshot
Ok, for all you bear spray proponents, what happens when your in your tent or the wind is blowing 30mph?
Of course there is a time and place for a firearm, but I doubt if very many people would be very good at defending themselves with a pistol if they were in an exciting situation. As most people that have earned a CIB (Combat Infantry Badge) the hard way, I know that most people can not hit a barn from the inside when they are under extreme stress. Training helps but nobody really knows how they will react until something smelly hits the fan.
I do believe that most people are better off with bear spray when they are in big bear country. A pistol is better than nothing, but a pistol and bear spray would be much better.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

Big uncle, I agree if I'm going to be in grizz
Country both spray and a handgun would make feel
Much better. As I always tell my hunting
Friends remember to " never feed the bears"---
Smile.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:20 PM
Spike

I have had 5 Grizzly encounters in the last 2 years during archery elk season in MT.
I carry a 629S&W with 305gr hard casts for medicine. They need to let us hunt them so they don't keep thinking we may be food! 3S's!
It kinda makes your hair stand up when you see a sow running toward you at 40yds in timber because she thinks your calf and cow calls sound yummy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.