HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Drought problems for pronghorns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/379086-drought-problems-pronghorns.html)

Big Uncle 02-16-2013 05:48 AM

Drought problems for pronghorns

Looks like a tough year for pronghorns.

Topgun 3006 02-16-2013 05:55 AM

They seem to be wintering well throughout most of Wyoming from all indications, but some good Spring and Summer moisture would sure help them and the deer.

Big Uncle 02-16-2013 06:18 AM

Wyoming Game and Fish Department wildlife management coordinators:
Laramie Region - "Shirley Basin looks dismal"

Green River - "Pronghorn also exhibited poorer body condition and poor fawn survival likely related to the drought." "Browse production was less than 25 percent of normal."

Casper - "fawn ratios were the lowest ever recorded in many herd units and newborn mortality was extremely high due to drought conditions"

Cody - "although the drought has not caused a significant increase in mortality or stress for deer and pronghorn in the southern Bighorn Basin, more animals were using private agricultural lands than in previous years."

Valentine 02-16-2013 06:23 AM

If it's not drought, it's some disease...

like TB. EHD, CWD, blue tongue, abcessed brain disease or whatever. (could have fouled up the initials)
If a 16 year old archer doesn't take the trophy in an adjoining property, something else will prevent a number of 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 year olds from surviving.

Saw one owner who spends much time and money on getting an older herd, lost two shootable trophies before the hunting season opened in 2012. I can feel his pain.
Depend on nature, and it will extract some price.

Topgun 3006 02-16-2013 08:56 AM

Big Uncle---I read those brief reports a few days ago on the website and what I was referring to is the animals that are still out there seem to be doing okay. They are definitely in a bind with what has already happened drought wise and it has definitely cut the numbers from what was an all time high in many areas just a year or two ago. As I mentioned, they need good Spring amd Summer moisture to start a decent recovery or it could really get nasty.

Big Uncle 02-16-2013 09:05 AM

Some snow would help. The sagebrush needs some moisture or it is going to be slim pickings, and poor horn growth to boot.

Big Uncle 02-16-2013 09:20 AM

I have been trying to draw one of the Red Desert units for the past few years, but this season I am just going to get a preference point. Maybe I will try to get a leftover tag in a different unit and look for a nice fat small buck.

Withabow 02-16-2013 01:23 PM

We hunted elk last year in unit 7 south of Casper and every single one of the locals we ran into said it was the driest year they had ever seen. Prayin' for a wet, mild end of winter and spring.

Big Uncle 02-23-2013 10:14 AM

So far just a little bit of snow. It helps, but it is going to take a lot more than this.

Topgun 3006 02-23-2013 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Big Uncle (Post 4038220)
So far just a little bit of snow. It helps, but it is going to take a lot more than this.

Be careful what you wish for! The first half of winter up here in lower MI we only got 3" and people were mad because they couldn't ski or snowmobile. As of about the 20th of January it started and hasn't quit with one storm after another. Spring can come any time up here and most would be very happy!