Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Drought problems for pronghorns >

Drought problems for pronghorns

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Drought problems for pronghorns

Old 02-25-2013, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe an inch or two of snow tomorrow for the Casper area, but out towards Rock Springs it does not look very good.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

Any indications on how the antelope are faring in SoDak? I like to hunt them around Edgemont but last year there weren't any tags available for non residents?
Old 03-06-2013, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

You'd be much better going to Wyoming and forgetting the Dakotas for some time if you want to hunt antelope as a NR any time soon!
Old 03-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Spike

Default Pronghorn

Montana isn't looking any better. Most of ours have migrated south, but unless we get some rain and some fresh grass they won't have much to come back to. They've cut our tag numbers already and I wouldn't be suprised if they don't do it again. Not sounding to good for antelope from Canada to Texas.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
You'd be much better going to Wyoming and forgetting the Dakotas for some time if you want to hunt antelope as a NR any time soon!

I'm thinking you're right.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:13 PM
Spike

I am in southeast Wy. and it is terrible here. We are going to start selling cows and June and probably won't have any left past Oct. We lost grass to fires and drought last year and this year is looking worse. We started feeding cake to cattle in August and are still feeding cake and hay. I don't know what the cows and antelope are going to eat. Our neighbors grow wheat and they are already planning on not having a harvest at all.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

It'll be curious to see if the antelope, at some point, start migrating back to the mountains. I've seen a few in antelope country in the mountains. Generally springs and what not to the benefit of the animals at higher altitude.