Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
New Mexico Elk Hunt Advice (BOW) >

New Mexico Elk Hunt Advice (BOW)

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

New Mexico Elk Hunt Advice (BOW)

Old 03-01-2013, 08:22 PM
zia
Spike

I usually carry 3-4 cow calls and blow whatever the bulls like, hasnt included a hoochie mama for a couple of years, have more elk run than come. I use a diaphram to do what limited bugling I do. 2000 acres seems like a lot but its a city park to elk, all of the above techniques you mentioned are fine, I would be careful about wandering around squaking on the call of the day, really good way to announce "pilgrims have landed". Have hunted or guided on several ranches in 4, ANY elk you legally harvest will be a great trophy. Good luck
Old 03-02-2013, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

I muzzleloader hunted in unit 52 a couple years ago. Its just east of your unit. The weather was lows in the 30's and highs of 50-60. Elk were very vocal and responded to both cow calls and bugles well. The mountain's were not real steep or high. Water was pretty abundant. One of my favorite places to hunt so far.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys excellent advice!
zia...what cow calls u use?
Old 03-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

My muzzy hunt was early october. always have my best luck with primos hyper lip single, or carltons fighting cow. On my hunt I actually had more response from my power bugle than anything. Elk were not call shy at all. We hunted right on the border between 4 & 52. I dont see why elk wouldn't be at least as vocal in your private unit. With elk you have to cover a lot of ground to find groups of elk, thats where the action is.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:29 AM
zia
Spike

I also like the hyperlip, hyperhot and an old off-the-market sceery, my favorite is one I made from a duck call.