Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
A Girl and Her First Bear (Me!) >

A Girl and Her First Bear (Me!)

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

A Girl and Her First Bear (Me!)

Old 02-07-2013, 10:09 AM
Spike

Congratulations and way to go. Good story also.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

Full Body, ive seen them and they are awesome
Old 02-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

Must be nice. We have to buy a license for each animal, each season..... I have a $24 wild turkey in my freezer right now. And a $80 deer. And a $35 deer. I also shot a quail, which ran me $28. Oh and the $18 fur bearer that has taken two coons with. That barely covers the amount they were sold for. And the habitat stamp, waterfowl stamp, etc etc etc.

Oh well,....wouldn't trade it for a thing.

I have $80 moose points, $50 elk points, and $30 antelope points for Wyoming each year and don't get to shoot anything with preference points. Oly a few more years and I can cash in for an antelope.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Spike

What exactly is this point system? It sounds alien to me lol! I've honestly never heard of that... Here we buy a resident combo hunt/fish license at$28 which I'm pretty sure covers all small game and any fish but trout which we have to buy a trout stamp for at $18. We have 3 big game stamps... One archery, muzzleloader, and rifle... At $28 each. In my section of Tennessee this year we were only allowed 4 does during bow, 1 during muzzleloader and 4 total during gun if you buy the $21 big game non-quota stamp... Other wise no does during gun. We're only allowed 3 bucks total no matter what we hunt with and can only take 1 per day. Nice bucks are really few and far between in my county, the biggest ever got hit by a dumptruck last year just before deer season.... He was MASSIVE. I got a pic of his rack somewhere, the mass was unbelievable.

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android
Old 02-09-2013, 03:53 AM
Typical Buck

When I was stationed at Ft. Campbell I hunted every chance I got. Never saw a bear but it's beautiful country you got there. Congrats on the bear.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GirlsHunt2
What exactly is this point system? It sounds alien to me lol! I've honestly never heard of that... Here we buy a resident combo hunt/fish license at$28 which I'm pretty sure covers all small game and any fish but trout which we have to buy a trout stamp for at $18. We have 3 big game stamps... One archery, muzzleloader, and rifle... At $28 each. In my section of Tennessee this year we were only allowed 4 does during bow, 1 during muzzleloader and 4 total during gun if you buy the $21 big game non-quota stamp... Other wise no does during gun. We're only allowed 3 bucks total no matter what we hunt with and can only take 1 per day. Nice bucks are really few and far between in my county, the biggest ever got hit by a dumptruck last year just before deer season.... He was MASSIVE. I got a pic of his rack somewhere, the mass was unbelievable.

You got it easy. I'm lucky to get a deer tag here every other year, because of the point system. That would be a tag for one mule deer.

The deer would be at 12.000ft, and you won't get him sitting in a blind.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:51 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats!
Good shot when excited,that's the way!
Old 02-10-2013, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

Wyoming, and several other states are set up with a preference point system. Each year you are unsuccessful in the lottery draw, you are awarded a preference point (you can also just purchase a point each year and opt out of the draw for that year). When they go to the lottery to draw tags, people with the most preference points are chosen first, and move on down the line. So people with max points get their tag first. Say the max point for a particular unit is 10. Once everyone with 10 points has their tags, then they move on to people with nine points, eight points, and so on until the tags are gone. For example, a Wyoming Moose tag in certain units lately have been taking 12-15 points to draw a tag. That's 12-15 years of unsuccessful draws, (@ $75 per year) before even being able to pull a tag. That's $1125 BEFORE paying for the out of state license, (another $1000). And that is for ONE elk, and you can't shoot any bears, deer, antelope, etc you just see wandering around.

Antelope take 0-6 points depending on the unit, elk 0-20 points to put things into perspective......

Hopefully that cleared it up a it for ya....
Old 02-20-2013, 04:31 AM
Spike

Thank you, that really helped me understand it and made me come to appreciate our hunting regulations more. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't get to hunt for years and years...

Old 02-20-2013, 05:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by NebBuckHunter
Wyoming, and several other states are set up with a preference point system. Each year you are unsuccessful in the lottery draw, you are awarded a preference point (you can also just purchase a point each year and opt out of the draw for that year). When they go to the lottery to draw tags, people with the most preference points are chosen first, and move on down the line. So people with max points get their tag first. Say the max point for a particular unit is 10. Once everyone with 10 points has their tags, then they move on to people with nine points, eight points, and so on until the tags are gone. For example, a Wyoming Moose tag in certain units lately have been taking 12-15 points to draw a tag. That's 12-15 years of unsuccessful draws, (@ $75 per year) before even being able to pull a tag. That's $1125 BEFORE paying for the out of state license, (another $1000). And that is for ONE elk, and you can't shoot any bears, deer, antelope, etc you just see wandering around.

Antelope take 0-6 points depending on the unit, elk 0-20 points to put things into perspective......

Hopefully that cleared it up a it for ya....
Haha I was thinking that I would be able to cut down on the costs of my meat by hunting. Looks like im better off buying ribeyes at the local supermarket if im worried about costs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.