HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   moose hunting outfitters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/377857-moose-hunting-outfitters.html)

tomsbass 01-16-2013 07:18 PM

moose hunting outfitters

I have been thinking about a horseback hunt in Canada for moose for a few years now. When I researched it about 3 years ago, there were a number of outfitters that offered hunts in the $5K range. I consider that affordable (barely). Just recently I did a little looking around online and it seems most outfitters are now in the $7-$9K category for a horseback moose hunt. I am not particular about which species of moose I shoot, but I like the idea of hunting Canada to avoid the draw and have a guaranteed tag.

Does anyone know if such a hunt can be had with a reputable outfitter for less than $7K? Seven becomes eight when you consider that you have to get to Canada, and leave a tip, and pay a butcher to cut up the meat. That's just a leeetle out of my budget. Just wondering if any of you guys know someone, or if the bottom line is that I should have gone 3 years ago when I had the chance!

Thanks in advance!

DARKSIDE55 01-17-2013 06:25 AM

Boy, you're sure looking for a lot of guides for a lot of things. Back in 2006 you posted about a moose hunt in Ontario...did you ever go? I'm an outfitter in Ontario and I run moose and bear hunts and fishing, etc. My moose hunt is $3500.00. That includes the cottage and one bull tag. That does not include your license or tax. But I do not have any adult tags left for this year. And no, they're not by horseback. All you need is a 4 x 4 or a quad and able to walk a little. There's plenty of outfitters in Ontario that are close to my price as long as they are not a fly-in. Those are expensive. Good luck on your quest.

Muley Hunter 01-17-2013 06:38 AM

How much is a moose tag these days, and is it hard to get?

tomsbass 01-17-2013 11:33 AM

Darkside, has it been that long? I actually ended up hunting moose in Wyoming in '08. Hunted from a truck and got my moose, had a great time, spent about $3500. Now I'm thinking that if go again, I'd really like to do a camp hunt from a horse. But thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep that in mind.

Muley Hunter, moose tags range anywhere from about $300 in most Canadian provinces to around $2000 in some US states. In general, they are very hard to get. In Canada, they are guaranteed when you hire an outfitter (which you legally must do anyway if you are a non-resident), but they are 1st come, 1st serve, so you have to book early. In all US states except Alaska, they are draw only. In some cases, cow tags are not especially hard to get, but they cost as much as bull tags. I've heard that there are guys in Montana who applied every year for 20 years and still didn't draw their bull tag.

Topgun 3006 01-17-2013 11:45 AM

So how many NR PPs did you have to draw your Wyoming moose tag? What unit and how big---pictures?

Muley Hunter 01-17-2013 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by tomsbass (Post 4028608)
Darkside, has it been that long? I actually ended up hunting moose in Wyoming in '08. Hunted from a truck and got my moose, had a great time, spent about $3500. Now I'm thinking that if go again, I'd really like to do a camp hunt from a horse. But thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep that in mind.

Muley Hunter, moose tags range anywhere from about $300 in most Canadian provinces to around $2000 in some US states. In general, they are very hard to get. In Canada, they are guaranteed when you hire an outfitter (which you legally must do anyway if you are a non-resident), but they are 1st come, 1st serve, so you have to book early. In all US states except Alaska, they are draw only. In some cases, cow tags are not especially hard to get, but they cost as much as bull tags. I've heard that there are guys in Montana who applied every year for 20 years and still didn't draw their bull tag.

I just meant Canada. If you can't get one without an outfitter. That kills that idea.

Thanks.

tomsbass 01-17-2013 03:55 PM

I drew a cow tag in Wyoming without any points at all. Bull tag would have been a different story. My guess is that my moose weighed about 500 LBs. They are quite a bit smaller than Canadian moose. I'll post a picture shortly.

tomsbass 01-17-2013 05:56 PM

Well, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to post a picture to this forum. But hopefully you get the idea.

Muley Hunter 01-17-2013 06:53 PM

You have to host your pictures on another site like Photobucket. The it's easy to post it here.

Forums can't host the pictures. It would take up too much bandwidth.

Gm54-120 01-17-2013 07:14 PM

Actually you can upload pictures here. You have to go to your profile and create an album. Then you can upload upto 60 pics to the album. There are pic size restrictions though.

Maximum File Size per Picture 97.7 KB
Maximum Picture Dimensions 600 by 600 Pixels