Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Enough Gun ?

Old 01-16-2013, 04:36 AM
Dominant Buck

When I am hunting big game I take any shot that I can take in my judgment that has close to a 100% chance of success. My best situation is always a standing broadside shot when I have something to rest the gun on but in reality that situation isn't always present. While I have never attempted a head shot because I view that as low probability of success, I have used a neck or high shoulder shot when the yardage was right and that was all there would be for an opportunity. When still hunting or tracking deer which is the way I like to hunt a standing shot is what we all strive for but often you are faced with a running deer and just a few seconds to evaluate whether it is something you want to kill and if you can make a killing shot. As for the ethics vs legal debate I see a divide between the two. One is a personal benchmark and the other is a legal line in the sand.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Muley Hunter---Hope that things are gradually improving for ya. At our age it takes time and you just need to keep things in perspective, do what the Docs say and agree with me all the time, LOL!!!

Wilcam47---It looks like skinnnner needs to practice a little bit better reading comprehension on what you stated about the .223 and .243!

CI---Good post and one which I would hope most would agree with, especially the last couple lines and with that I see a certain member is still trying to get me going on that ethics front! He thinks people are terrible when we disagree with him and don't follow his philosophy of legal and ethical when there is most certainly a divide. In fact, that divide can sometimes be small and sometimes a chasm (ie. a guy like muley hunter that loves the "close in still hunter style" with a ML or the other that loves sniping an unsuspecting animal at 1000+ yards).

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-16-2013 at 05:31 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
When I am hunting big game I take any shot that I can take in my judgment that has close to a 100% chance of success. My best situation is always a standing broadside shot when I have something to rest the gun on but in reality that situation isn't always present. While I have never attempted a head shot because I view that as low probability of success, I have used a neck or high shoulder shot when the yardage was right and that was all there would be for an opportunity. When still hunting or tracking deer which is the way I like to hunt a standing shot is what we all strive for but often you are faced with a running deer and just a few seconds to evaluate whether it is something you want to kill and if you can make a killing shot. As for the ethics vs legal debate I see a divide between the two. One is a personal benchmark and the other is a legal line in the sand.
Very nicely said ira good to see there are still some realistic ppl here but i do disagree with your last statement about being legal and a line in the sand,its just plain being realistic.as you mentioned,in a real life hunting situation lots of times you dont get the perfect shot.thats why it pays to put some time in on the range and become confident and know their limatations,i guess neck shors are the spice of life making due with what you have haha
Old 01-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
I dont see a shooting a running deer as unethical, shooting at a running deer whitout the skills, within distance, or clear shooting lanes then your getting into unethical. I shoot running animals within the peramiters above if any of thoughs i feel are not feasable then I hold my shot watch and start stalking again. But we are dragging this off topic and I say lets get back to is 308 Enough Gun? As befor I say it is plenty.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:12 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BP_Niccum
I dont see a shooting a running deer as unethical, shooting at a running deer whitout the skills, within distance, or clear shooting lanes then your getting into unethical. I shoot running animals within the peramiters above if any of thoughs i feel are not feasable then I hold my shot watch and start stalking again. But we are dragging this off topic and I say lets get back to is 308 Enough Gun? As befor I say it is plenty.
With that being said,why are you over on the where do you aim post speaking against neck shots?sounds luke snobery to me
Old 01-19-2013, 04:15 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BP_Niccum
I could just as easily say that shooting at any running deer is unethical but im more realistic then some ppl,i know when hunting you dont always get the perfect shot
Old 01-21-2013, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I know him, but never agreed with him. I listened to Jack O'Connor instead.
Me too,never agreed with Keith. And JOC was alot better journalist.