Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Shirley Basin Wyoming Antelope >

Shirley Basin Wyoming Antelope

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Shirley Basin Wyoming Antelope

Old 01-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Spike

Default Shirley Basin Wyoming Antelope

I have hunted the Devils Tower area for antelope years past with no points and now Im looking for info for the Shirley Basin antelope unit 47 area.
Do we need points for this area?
Is tent or camper camping allowed in this area?
Is any one place better than another?
There are three ranches that operate in that area how does the permission slips work?
Any other info would be great
Old 01-07-2013, 09:02 AM
Spike

Default Unit 47

We hunted 47 three years ago (non-resident) and had a great time. Two adults and four kids. We took six bucks in two days near Medicine Bow and Hanna. We had 1.5 points (Wyoming does average points). Might take more points now. I think they've reduced the tags there because of winter kill. We asked around a little and a rancher near Hanna let two of my kids hunt on his ranch. We killed mostly bucks around 70", but my daughter shot a beautiful 79" goat. You can only camp on BLM or Forest Service, not state or school trust ground. Wyoming has their odds for each area posted on their website.

Good luck. Feel free to email me if you want more specific details on where we hunted. [email protected].
Old 01-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Three points should do it, but you might get lucky with less.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:05 PM
Spike

Thanks for the replies.
If we don't have any points maybe we should think about another area.
Does anyone know a unit with a lot of public ground that does not require any points.
We are not concerned with trophies just a good hunt.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wyoming's website is a great place to start.

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/hunting-1000045.aspx
Old 01-10-2013, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

You're going to be hard-pressed to find a unit with a lot of accessible public land that doesn't require at least 1 PP, unless you go into the Special draw that costs more. That will give you more possibilities if you want to go right away. As has already been stated, go onto the G&F website. When the main page loads you highlight "HUNTING" and then click on "Draw Odds". All the animals will come up and you can click on the various draws and go down through to see how many PPs it took for a 100% chance on down to 0 chance.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:59 PM
Spike

Well the website is where I started and I've been studying maps and then I found out about the pref points so I printed all the stuff about those and studying the draw odds till my eyes look like I've been on a 3 day drunk and my wife told me to quit printing all that stuff and wasting paper lol.
I guess I thought I would try word of mouth, kinda like a mexican food restaurant, its nice to hear what others had to say about it before you give it a try.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

Is it hard to find doe tags in many areas without P.P. ?? I would love so much to go to Wyoming to hunt anything to the point that I don't care if it's a buck or doe. Where can I hunt? It is almost impossible to "plan a hunt" .. Work tells me when I can and can't go. If it's a bit slow I can maybe go for 4-5 days.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

The draw for doe tags doesn't use PPs, so everyone entered in them is on an equal basis. Most ranchers will allow you to shoot does for free if you wait until the second week of the season and the crowds thin out. Most units allow 2 does and some are up to 4, but you can only apply for 2 in the draw. Then you can buy 2 more in July when leftovers go on sale.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 02-01-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

This might be a tough year due to the continued drought. Fawn survival has been bad again, and some ranches are not allowing doe/fawn hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.