HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   How do you hunt or fight off a damn near perfect predator/hunter? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/377344-how-do-you-hunt-fight-off-damn-near-perfect-predator-hunter.html)

ColtWinchester 01-03-2013 09:21 PM

How do you hunt or fight off a damn near perfect predator/hunter?

Say your hunting and have the misfortune of accidently making mad (like shooting at a deer and end up grazing a mountain lion) or coming across an animal that could tear you to pieces and is pretty much hunting you because it's ticked or just wants you for dinner.

How do you fight it off or get away especially if it's a darn near perfect hunter in it's own right?

Chopayne 01-03-2013 09:47 PM

haha im no expert and have no experience fending off predators, though id like to one day fight a bear with a knife and win. However, correct me if im wrong, but you should try to kill it before it kills you(knife, gun, sticks, rocks, bare hands). Or try to make yourself look as big as possible so that they dont want to mess with you, if they do get you on the ground, play dead so that they dont see you as a threat. I would use running away or turning your back as a last choice as most predators response is to give chase. FYI none of these guarantee your safety, its just possible solutions that may or may not work.

Preventative measures might be good, like taking an overweight friend along, all you need to do is run faster than him.

Wingbone 01-04-2013 03:25 AM

For one thing, unless you are in grizzly or wild pig country, this situation is highly unlikely. Most animals don't get "pissed off" when you shoot at them. And, you'd better have compelling evidence that your life was in danger if you kill a protected species. My first question would be: "What did you shoot at the deer with?"

Zim 01-04-2013 05:25 AM

Bear or pepper spray is a neutralizer. Or at least I trust packing it on my solo backpack hunts. Can't tell you from personal experience wrestling a griz tho.

Uncle Nicky 01-04-2013 06:33 AM

I carry a glossy color picture of Rosie O' Donnell with me in my back pocket, just for such emergencies. This should scare off just about anything on 2 or 4 legs.

Muley Hunter 01-04-2013 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by ColtWinchester (Post 4023598)
Say your hunting and have the misfortune of accidently (like shooting at a deer and end up grazing a mountain lion) or coming across an animal that could tear you to pieces and is pretty much hunting you because it's ticked or just wants you for dinner.

How do you fight it off or get away especially if it's a darn near perfect hunter in it's own right?

You miss a deer and shoot a cat? You're kidding right?

WV Hunter 01-04-2013 07:30 AM

All I can do is laugh at posts like this.

BP_Niccum 01-04-2013 10:47 AM

Sounds like youve been playing to much Cabelas dangerous game video game.

navymancdf 01-04-2013 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by BP_Niccum (Post 4023746)
Sounds like youve been playing to much Cabelas dangerous game video game.

I was thinking the same thing that is one wild a$$ scenario.

monoped 01-04-2013 01:18 PM

Stay home! Stay away from guns.