Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
How do you hunt or fight off a damn near perfect predator/hunter? >

How do you hunt or fight off a damn near perfect predator/hunter?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

How do you hunt or fight off a damn near perfect predator/hunter?

Old 01-03-2013, 09:21 PM
Spike

Default How do you hunt or fight off a damn near perfect predator/hunter?

Say your hunting and have the misfortune of accidently making mad (like shooting at a deer and end up grazing a mountain lion) or coming across an animal that could tear you to pieces and is pretty much hunting you because it's ticked or just wants you for dinner.

How do you fight it off or get away especially if it's a darn near perfect hunter in it's own right?

Last edited by JW; 01-04-2013 at 08:00 AM. Reason: poor language - JW
Old 01-03-2013, 09:47 PM
Fork Horn

haha im no expert and have no experience fending off predators, though id like to one day fight a bear with a knife and win. However, correct me if im wrong, but you should try to kill it before it kills you(knife, gun, sticks, rocks, bare hands). Or try to make yourself look as big as possible so that they dont want to mess with you, if they do get you on the ground, play dead so that they dont see you as a threat. I would use running away or turning your back as a last choice as most predators response is to give chase. FYI none of these guarantee your safety, its just possible solutions that may or may not work.

Preventative measures might be good, like taking an overweight friend along, all you need to do is run faster than him.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

For one thing, unless you are in grizzly or wild pig country, this situation is highly unlikely. Most animals don't get "pissed off" when you shoot at them. And, you'd better have compelling evidence that your life was in danger if you kill a protected species. My first question would be: "What did you shoot at the deer with?"
Old 01-04-2013, 05:25 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Bear or pepper spray is a neutralizer. Or at least I trust packing it on my solo backpack hunts. Can't tell you from personal experience wrestling a griz tho.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

I carry a glossy color picture of Rosie O' Donnell with me in my back pocket, just for such emergencies. This should scare off just about anything on 2 or 4 legs.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ColtWinchester
Say your hunting and have the misfortune of accidently (like shooting at a deer and end up grazing a mountain lion) or coming across an animal that could tear you to pieces and is pretty much hunting you because it's ticked or just wants you for dinner.

How do you fight it off or get away especially if it's a darn near perfect hunter in it's own right?
You miss a deer and shoot a cat? You're kidding right?

Last edited by JW; 01-04-2013 at 08:01 AM. Reason: language
Old 01-04-2013, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

All I can do is laugh at posts like this.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like youve been playing to much Cabelas dangerous game video game.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BP_Niccum
Sounds like youve been playing to much Cabelas dangerous game video game.
I was thinking the same thing that is one wild a$$ scenario.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

Stay home! Stay away from guns.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.