Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Field Pack

Old 01-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Typical Buck

Whatever you carry to drink, you probably need way more of it than you think you do. And make sure you start out well hydrated, force yourself to drink water in the hours leading up to your hunt.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Murdy
Whatever you carry to drink, you probably need way more of it than you think you do. And make sure you start out well hydrated, force yourself to drink water in the hours leading up to your hunt.
I am no expert on hydration and am only repeating what I heard so take it with a grain of salt. I was watching a college football game where a lot of the players were cramping due to dehydration on a hot day. The announcer said that you cannot get hydrated the day of the game but that it takes days to get properly hydrated. So drinking the day of the hunt may not be enough.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

It will certainly help keep what you have. It's easy to get dehydrated at altitude.

Avoid caffeine at all costs.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

Not realy our bodies are like 90% water so we can get hydrated pritty fast. Clear unrin is a sign of hydration the more yellow the more dehydrated you are. Your body will tell you when you are properly hydrated its up to you while hunting to keep it that way. Make shure you have some electrolites ether salt packs or just a bottle of gatorade or somthing of that sort to drink midway through your hunt. You can over hydrate and flush all your electrolites out of your system and be in big trouble there too.

Feed yourslef, hydrate and stay heathey!
Old 01-04-2013, 12:44 AM
Fork Horn

What the anouncer probably meant was that its probably not the best option to down gallons of water the day of as you would get severely bloated and flush out alot of nutrients. But he is definitely wrong in saying " you cant get hydrated the day of". Its not like your body has to break it down or take hours to digest.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:06 PM
Typical Buck

I would agree that the better practice is to drink plenty of fluids in days in advance. But I also think a little forced hydration immediately before has some beneficial effect. Then again, I'm no expert either.