Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Fair Chase vs High Fence Hunting Debate? >

Fair Chase vs High Fence Hunting Debate?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Fair Chase vs High Fence Hunting Debate?

Old 01-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't believe all of the pro high fence crowd? Again, more power to you if you "hunt" High fence, however, don't imply it's Fair Chase.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

How many do you think there are in this thread?
Old 01-08-2013, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have a clue how many there are, but if they're having fun more power to them.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by iamyourhuckleberry
Champlain,

CWD is an interesting topic and one which my contribution would only be speculation. I am not up to speed in this arena. I've heard urine scents are under consideration for the spread of CWD also. I just don't know...

I do know that it is human nature to box things in, for either protection or procurement.

And thanks for the laugh. I was beginning to wonder if eating something was part of the "Fair" equation also. I respect your way of hunting. It is very similar to my grandmother's-until the squirrels started destroying her house.

How is the ice fishing?
I actually have done lots of research on CWD and know that eventually it will probably rear its ugly head here in the state. Our F&W Department has done quite a bit to lower the chance of having CWD introduced like banning the supplemental feeding of deer, banning baiting of deer, suggesting that urine based deer scents are not used or sold, and banning any new captive hunting facilities in state. It is illegal to import any game animal or exotics without a permit. Our state and many others routinely test for CWD on the hunter harvested animals as well as road kills. It is against state law to import a whole animal harvested in a state or Canadian province that has CWD. Game harvested in a CWD location has to be completely deboned and scull plate cleaned before it can be brought into our state. Only the meat, antlers/ scull plate and skin can be brought back to Vt. Looking ahead a post or two I see WNYhunter is trying to stir the pot. Funny thing most people I know from NY are the real deal and pretty smart but I suppose exceptions are out there. The relationship between captive game preserves and CWD are irrefutable. Most of the latest states to have it show were via one of these preserves. WNYH to make a statement that the government introduced it is ludicrous. Based on your post which was difficult at least for me to understand, I can only surmise you are part of a captive game farm, live near one or at least frequent one. Any of these farms should be forced to erect a double fence at least 10 yds apart to eliminate possible nose to nose contact between the captive animals and wild game and to minimize animals being able to enter or escape via a broken fence. Ice fishing is getting better after a slow start. I am usually out there sometime during the 2nd and 3rd week in December right after our ML season ends. This year it was December 29 and the ice on many places isn’t good. It started to catch then we had a big dump of snow which insulates the ice and keeps it thin and erratic. I had a good day today and caught 50 pounds of large perch. When the ice gets better I will be able to take my wheeler out and access some great fishing spots that are difficult to get to by walking. One of the things I really like to do is fish for flat fish…bluegills, sunnies and crappie. All of those spots have bad ice and on normal years those sheltered bays are the first to freeze. It is supposed to get very warm by the end of the week and I hope a bunch of these spots with bad ice will break up and then re-freeze properly when it gets cold next week. Ice fishing keeps this old goat busy during the winter. And Huck…nothing wrong with a few meals of squirrel.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by gjersy
I don't have a clue how many there are, but if they're having fun more power to them.
Of course that's a given, but you made it sound like there was a lot that were pro high fence hunts. I see the opposite.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

Good evening,

The orginal poster has not been back on here since the 17th of December. Just like I said way back when. All he wanted to do was start a controversy and yeah...he did. All of you should quit worring about who shoots over a fence, under fence or whatever and how much it costs. And yeah I'm ranting. I live in Canada. Our gun registration didn't work worth a damn. The crooks have still got the guns. You should spend your time concentrating on Obama taking all your guns away down there and given enough rope...he will take them all. As long as it doesn't float north of the border...so to speak...we already have too many reg's. Please try to concentrate your energy towards gun legislation because if you don't have any guns the fence is not important. Is it???
Old 01-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Of course that's a given, but you made it sound like there was a lot that were pro high fence hunts. I see the opposite.
Cool more power to you.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE55
Good evening,

The orginal poster has not been back on here since the 17th of December. Just like I said way back when. All he wanted to do was start a controversy and yeah...he did. All of you should quit worring about who shoots over a fence, under fence or whatever and how much it costs. And yeah I'm ranting. I live in Canada. Our gun registration didn't work worth a damn. The crooks have still got the guns. You should spend your time concentrating on Obama taking all your guns away down there and given enough rope...he will take them all. As long as it doesn't float north of the border...so to speak...we already have too many reg's. Please try to concentrate your energy towards gun legislation because if you don't have any guns the fence is not important. Is it???
Never happen. He might get a ban on assault rifles, but he has no intention of messing with hunters. We pour too much money into the economy.

As for this thread? It's winter, and we're bored.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:43 PM
Typical Buck

http://www.mad-cow.org/99feb_cwd_special.html

champlain hunter, I am not stirring the pot at all. but when someone brings up something they dont know about then yea, I am saying something. You might know what is being done to try and prevent it, which doesn't work. Its already here. This topic isnt about cwd, its about hunting behind a fence. I have stated where I stand on here time and again and feel I shouldn't be repeating myself. So in the article I included read the origin part, where workers released exposed deer back to the wild. Breeders have done alot in the fight against CWD, but an edjucated person such as yourself probably knew that already.

And yea, dont insult me again. This topic has been kept pretty friendly so far for you to start that. Plus, you wont win.

Last edited by WNYhunter; 01-08-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by iamyourhuckleberry
comical entertainment worth paying for?
Yes indeed. You my friend, missed your true calling! Jeff Foxworthy don't have chit on you. The only difference is, he's trying to be funny and he's not even close to you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.