Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
CO, UT, NM or WY for Elk 2013 >

CO, UT, NM or WY for Elk 2013

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

CO, UT, NM or WY for Elk 2013

Old 12-11-2012, 07:09 PM
Spike

Default CO, UT, NM or WY for Elk 2013

First time going Elk hunting in 2013. These are the states we're considering for a DIY Rifle Elk Hunt. Where ever we go will be the beginning of our years of scouting and research on the area. Travelling from Nebraska.

Seriously considering Colorado due to the tag prices and Elk population. But we don't want to rule out other states for a quality hunt for a couple hundred dollars difference.

Utah seems like a pretty attactive Elk destination, Wyoming has gotten very expensive for tags and New Mexico is on the top of one of our guys lists.

I'm not sure if we're going to DIY camp, Drop Camp or Stay in town somewhere yet as we're just getting the plans going now. I figure there is a lot more Elk hunting experience on this board than what I can make up on my own. I am in the process of reading books on Elk hunting right now, but they don't substitute for boots on the ground experience like many of you have.

We're all experienced Whitetail and Muley hunters, so we're not newbs, just newbies to Elk hunting.

Your replies and insight are appreciated.

Last edited by Nitro.Bass; 12-11-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:28 AM
Spike

Im from NM. Ive hunted elk all over this state. The south west mountains and the extreme north are probably the two most popular or sought after hunts. The Gila wilderness and the Chama valley.
The Gila holds some huge bulls. So does the Chama valley, tho not as frequent. The cost for out of state hunters in NM is ridiculous.
The Gila is great but far...few places to stay if you want a lodge or hotel setting. Chama valley is the same way. Camping is really the way to go. Archery seasons are pleasant in both regions. The rifle hunts in the Chama valley can be at times extremely wintery. It's a crap shoot, drought, unseasonably warm weather, drought, fire, drought and lack of water have changed the game.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

You're not going to get tags in UT nor WY without lots of bonus points. You could get lucky in NM but NR odds are only 2-10%. The lower tier quality tag I drew last year has gone to 6% odds. However, NM is a 100% draw state if you want to pitch in an extra $1,200 or so for landowner tags. That still leaves CO.

Last edited by Zim; 12-13-2012 at 04:31 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

do you have no points?

I'd at least put in for a premo unit in NM and cross your fingers, other states I'd probably put in as a backup/main plan rifle elk hunt.

I think UT has some otc units etc... so don't expect monster bulls really anywhere with low points.

tag costs honestly is the least of the equation, I'd pay 1000 for a quality tag/hunt than 500 for junk, after all is said and done that's a 500 difference in expense on your overall hunt.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are talking a group going and you have no points in any state for elk, your only real choice of those states IMO would be Colorado. Idaho is another possiblity as they sell some OTC licenses with caps. Some areas in Idaho are hard hit by wolves, so research specifics there.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:44 AM
Dominant Buck

I would say Colorado since they have OTC second and third season rifle bull tags and have the largest elk herd along with a lot of pub lands. There are places that have some real nice bulls and especially for a first time elk hunter it would probably result in some action. My first year going out from New England resulted in all 3 of us getting an elk and we did a DIY hunt and didn't have any idea of what we were doing. Since then we have gone out a total of 7 times and I have 5 elk and 1 mule deer to my credit. If you are a good deer hunter than you will do well with elk. You have to be skilled in still hunting techniques and be able to spot and stalk.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 12-13-2012 at 03:47 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:32 AM
Spike

So our small group, none of us have points in any state... I appreciate the insight from you guys, and we're wanting to get started here and need to get points racked up for that primo, giant bull hunt but may never come to reality.

Not really even sure where to start putting in for points, except maybe CO or NM...
Old 12-13-2012, 07:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Plenty of great hunting in Colorado without any points. Just go with either archery or rifle OTC. Lots of pub lands full of elk to chase after.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

no points in NM, apply as a party for one of the best units, ie you either all draw or none of you draw, you could even do this for not 1 of the best units but still a good unit, either way you either draw or not.

essentially any state you can get points for you probably should.

of all the states, I'd say at least buy a WY point this year.

AZ, UT, NV would be long term elk plans at least for me, ie... 5-15yrs away.

CO, is a good 1st year option and has points.

MT's point system is a bit goofy, they have 2 draws kinda, it's pretty odd/confusing.

NM(great unit) and CO(backup/OTC unit) would probably be a good plan with a point in WY.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Spike

So I think we're gonna shoot for CO this year and put in for a point somewhere. Now just need to figure out what unit to put in for or do OTC for in CO...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.