Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Help locating my 1st bear hunt >

Help locating my 1st bear hunt

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Help locating my 1st bear hunt

Old 12-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Spike

Default Help locating my 1st bear hunt

I'm looking for a prefect scenario for my 1st bear hunt and I was thinking someone here might be able to help. For me it's simple, all I'm looking for is a guided black bear hunt with the highest probability of getting a bear early on in the hunt. I'm also going to need taxidermy butchering and meat packaging. I would prefer to hunt over bait from a blind, but I'm not opposed to running dogs, only because from what I read I would be more successful with bait. On the other hand, I really love the thrill of running dogs here at home, in backwoods Alabama. My lovely wife has has given me the okay to go on my trip, but if I'm going to spend several thousand then it's going to have to be a family trip. This is where the searching for trips has got me a bit frustrated. My wife is not a hunter and not really the outdoors type so there are going to be a few stipulations and changes added to my personal plan. If I'm going to be able to go on my trip, this is a list of what I'm looking for from an outfitter or a lodges hunting package.

5 day bear hunt M-F (over bait or dog run)
I hunt with a .454 Casull revolver with a 6 1/2 inch barrel (have scope, prefer iron sights)
(prefer to be hunting no more than 8 hours a day)
Taxidermy butchering and meatpacking are needed
Need to be able to drive to location
2 adults either private room or private cabin
All meals provided
Outdoor activities with a family atmosphere for my wife and I when not hunting
1 small pet allowed
9 year old son may accompany us, if school doesn't interfere
Internet and TV
Town should be no more than 30 minutes drive from lodge

I know this is asking a lot, I just hope it isn't asking too much. Trying to use google to find what I'm looking for is making me want to bang my head against hard surfaces. Can someone please help?
Old 12-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

IMHO you are asking way too much for any bear hunt that most places offer here in the states or up in Canada!!! It sounds like you are asking for more of a family vacation with a little hunting thrown in and I think that may be hard to find.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
IMHO you are asking way too much for any bear hunt that most places offer here in the states or up in Canada!!! It sounds like you are asking for more of a family vacation with a little hunting thrown in and I think that may be hard to find.
Lol, you're telling me .... Still looking for any input from anybody even if one or two of the requisitions on the list isn't met.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:32 AM
Spike

Well I have been outfitting for 35 years and some of what you want is not a big problem with some operators......... but you are limiting yourself with some of your stipulations. Just needing to use the handgun nixes Canada completely.

What exactly do you call family atmosphere? By town, how big are we talking? Depending on where you live it has different meanings. Where I live town is about 350 people. I know American friends who thing 10,000 fits the town description.

You sound like you want top notch bear hunting with all of the conveniences of the Holiday Inn and the mall/theatre nearby. Most of the hunters we get who bring non-hunting wives (lots of ladies are hunters these days) have wives who also like to fish or enjoy the peace and quiet of being in the sticks. Internet and TV..... well that is not much of an issue these days even in the fly-in camps that have satellite service. Dogs may or may not be an issue.......... unless of course Fluffy gets away and a coyote or a wolf eats him. Children are not usually a problem if they are being attended to by your spouse and you are not also expecting day care services.

All in all though, with your list............ as an outfitter, I would be encouraging you to go elsewhere I think. LOL
Old 12-08-2012, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

Pretty well ditto for the post above. Hand guns are a no-go for all of Canada. You might want to check with Bill Gates, where he went on his last bear hunt. LOL. Sorry....I couldn't resist it. I've been an outfitter too for over 30 years, moose and bear and what you're looking for, I would think will next to impossible. Or if you can find it, it will cost you a fortune. But good luck on your quest.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Mooswa
Just needing to use the handgun nixes Canada completely.
Well, to be honest I wasn't really wanting to leave the states anyway. And I really didn't want to cross the Mason Dixon line, but I will if I can find something really good.

What exactly do you call family atmosphere?
In a word ... Hospitality.

By town, how big are we talking?
If there is a Walmart I call it a town.

You sound like you want top notch bear hunting with all of the conveniences of the Holiday Inn and the mall/theatre nearby
No, I want top notch bear hunting with all the conveniences of a Bed and breakfast. For the kind of money I'm willing to spend I don't see why I can't have it.

Dogs may or may not be an issue.......... unless of course Fluffy gets away and a coyote or a wolf eats him. Children are not usually a problem if they are being attended to by your spouse and you are not also expecting day care services.
While I regret getting her a chihuahua for Christmas last year, the stupid dog never leaves her side. And as for My son, he has asperger's and is under constant supervision.

All in all though, with your list............ as an outfitter, I would be encouraging you to go elsewhere I think.
I would love to be encouraged to go elsewhere ...
LOL
... I just need someone to tell me where a good elsewhere is.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

We offer a very good Maine spring or fall black bear hunt that may be what your looking for. Email me at [email protected] and I will email you the information on it.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

PM sent...
Old 12-15-2012, 04:13 PM
Typical Buck

I spent this last summer/spring in northern Idaho near Elk City guiding Bear hunts and their are tons of them up their. The outfitter I worked for did baited hunts and my personal favorite spot and stalk hunts from a jet boat on the Salmon river. Check out their website http://silverspurlodge.com/ the earlier you go the better. The success rates are about 80%, you can also purchase up to like five wolf tags for I think like $30 each and if you see one while hunting you can shoot one with no extra costs. Pm me if you have any questions.

Our spring Bear Hunts Over Bait run from May 15th thru June 30th. These hunts are based from our modern log lodge. The lodge has all the modern conveniences and serves the best food in the backcountry. These are exciting hunts that will get your adrenaline pumping. Our success rate on bear is very high with a very good chance of getting a color phase. We take 40% black and 60% chocolate, cinnamon or blond color phase. We are hunting in units 19 & 20 in the Selway Zone that has a two bear limit. Units 19 & 20 are also reduced tag units so a non-resident tag is only $31.75 each. These are great hunts for couples or father & sons or daughters. We can also accommodate a person that can’t take a physically strenuous hunt or has limited mobility. The backcountry is alive with flowers and wildlife at this time of the year and your chances of seeing elk, deer, moose or wolf beside a bear are very high. So make sure you bring a camera. We are running a Special 6 Day Over Bait Hunt single bear hunt for $1,975.00. A second bear can be hunted for $600.00 extra.

Our Spot & Stalk Hunts are run by jet boat on the main Salmon River. On this thrilling hunt we travel the Salmon River by jet boat and glass the mountain sides to spot the bears. We then land and put a stalk on the bear and take a shot. We hunt in units 20 & 20A for this hunt. This hunt requires you to be in good physical shape because of the steep terrain during the stalk. We run this hunt the last 2 weeks of April each year.

A Idaho non-resident hunt license is $154.75 & 1st reduced bear tags is $31.75 and a 2nd bear tag is $31.75 for in unit 19 & 20. To hunt in unit 20A the cost for the bear tag is $31.75

Last edited by genesis27:3; 12-15-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:15 PM
Spike

Option#1 Genesis27:3 has given you some darn good info. The color phase is attractive for me, the spot and stalk beats sitting at a bait station all day getting eaten alive by insects. Most all Outfitters has a Taxidermist who works with their clients. Option#2 Get rid of wife. Option #3 get rid of dog. Option #4 Get rid of both. Option #5 Look for a hard surface for buying the dog ! Seriously, Option #5 would be the cheapest. LOL All jokes aside Goodluck hope you get one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.