Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
I need some tips on elk late season archery >

I need some tips on elk late season archery

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I need some tips on elk late season archery

Old 11-25-2012, 05:48 PM
Spike

Default I need some tips on elk late season archery

I see myself still as a novice hunter. I still have not got an animal. I cant even find any. I would really like some tips on how to find them. I go out walking everyday but just keep coming up with nothing. so can anyone out there give me some tips on how to find those elk?
Old 11-25-2012, 08:45 PM
Typical Buck

Where are you at? What is the country like? Open areas intermixed with thick timber, mostly timber, sage hills...? Give us something to start with. Cow/calf, bull, or either?
Old 11-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by wyomingtrapper
Where are you at? What is the country like? Open areas intermixed with thick timber, mostly timber, sage hills...? Give us something to start with. Cow/calf, bull, or either?
It is kind of thick in there but you can get around kind of easily. Im fine with a cow/calf or bull. I just really want to start seeing them and try to get my shots. Everyone i hunt with comes back with there stories and i come back with nothing.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:40 AM
Spike

Default Late elk

Your local archery shop will be a good place to ask for info.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:31 PM
Typical Buck

You still haven't given much detail. What state? You need to find the area they are concentrating. If the area allows it, cover a LOT of ground with binoculars. If there are openings you can glass at dawn and dusk, you may find them. If you are not finding fresh sign in terms of tracks or scat then you need to cover a lot of ground on foot until you find some indication they are in the area. Then slow down and cover that area carefully, but still covering some ground. If you smell them, then slow way down and ease into the wind, glassing closely every few steps. They can cover a lot of ground, but may be in a general area of a few square miles over time. Still a lot of country. What altitude are you hunting? Any snow?
Old 11-27-2012, 11:05 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by wyomingtrapper
You still haven't given much detail. What state? You need to find the area they are concentrating. If the area allows it, cover a LOT of ground with binoculars. If there are openings you can glass at dawn and dusk, you may find them. If you are not finding fresh sign in terms of tracks or scat then you need to cover a lot of ground on foot until you find some indication they are in the area. Then slow down and cover that area carefully, but still covering some ground. If you smell them, then slow way down and ease into the wind, glassing closely every few steps. They can cover a lot of ground, but may be in a general area of a few square miles over time. Still a lot of country. What altitude are you hunting? Any snow?
Im hunting western Washington, i think im at an altitude of 1350-2200 somewhere in there. its not open enough really to glass any where. sorry i did not provide enough information. and i really appreciate the help. theres some snow if i go up high enough but i dont think there up there. there are also a lot of road hunters so i think there in the area behind the gates.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Spike

Good luck, bud. I'd like to go elk hunting out west someday, but it's so expensive; the price of a guided hunt, the licenses, and taxidermist will not only put a hole in my wallet but also tear it apart.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Typical Buck

They are going to need water. In that thick timber you are often on top of them and blow them out before you know they are there. As stated, cover a lot of area until you find recent sign.

Snakeeater, it is expensive anyway you put it, but you don't have to have a guide and even if you get a monster bull, the taxidermy can wait. A cape can be properly preserved for years. The cost of the tags and fuel are often the big expenses.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:27 PM
Spike

I'm still looking into it. It's just that I'm all the way from the midwest and have no clue on how to arrange an elk hunt if I were to go the do it yourself route; I'd need to get with a packing service and have enough time to scout. It looks like CO is difficult for 1st season tags. What is WY like? I did see an outfitter in WY where some of our military's best do mountain training, looks interesting.