Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
World Record Elk (high fence?) in Idaho 545" >

World Record Elk (high fence?) in Idaho 545"

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler
View Poll Results: Should record books state if an animal was "DIY" and/or "public land"?
I'd support record books including "DIY" and "public land" notation
73.68%
No, for whatever reason.
26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

World Record Elk (high fence?) in Idaho 545"

Old 08-22-2019, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Paying to hunt private land and paying to hunt a high fence are two very different things. Although very large tracts of land can be closely managed... It's still different than a high fence operation.

As for you not being able to afford it... And it not being fair......? I don't know what to tell you. Your finances have nothing to do with anybody else's hunt.

Get a better job. There's plenty out there that I can't afford. But good for those who can. Ain't a reason to cry unfair.

I'd like a new truck. I could work more hours or get a second job and get a new truck. I'll keep driving my 11 year old paid off truck though, while saving cash to buy a better one eventually... And won't whine that it's unfair that I "have" to drive an old truck.

To answer the op (old thread) ... Yes I think records should differentiate between high fence and fair Chase. But I don't think public land vs private land matters. Fair Chase is fair Chase.

-Jake

Last edited by Bocajnala; 08-22-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe the Spider Bull from Utah was the new World record. Sorry, high fence critters don’t make the cut.

https://www.gameandfishmag.com/edito...0109_sp/194515
Old 08-23-2019, 11:15 AM
Dominant Buck

With any cervid animal all high fence operations should be outlawed simply from the CWD perspective. There has been a direct connection between captive members of most forms of the deer family and the spread of CWD which many feel is the largest threat to the sport we all love.
Old 08-23-2019, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

Excellent post CI......let's exclude animals taken in once in a lifetime areas, let's exclude landowner tag animals, let's exclude animals were their are food plots....let's exclude animals taken in pre made blinds, let's exclude.....really? High fence area's are pretty obvious, but as hunters, as a group, with all the crap we hear from the anti hunters, do you really want to be excluding certain hunting groups, instead of banding together and becoming stronger as a group?
Old 08-26-2019, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by b0whunter
If you pay to hunt on private land, high fenced or not you should not be able to register that animal in B & C or P & Y. I cannot afford to do it so you are basically paying for an animal that I can't afford to pay to kill. Doesn't seem fair to me and it is happening all over this country for lots of species. Basically turning hunting into a rich man's game.
Not sure I understand your angst. Life isn't fair in many ways. Never has been. My question to you is: Have you ever actually hunted on one of the big ranches in the west? Have you ever hunted public land in the west? Have you ever held any sort of non-resident tag at all? Seems like you want to use your particular circumstances to deprive others of opportunities you feel are closed to you.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm glad you're not in charge.