Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Bison (buffalo) with a 30-06 >

Bison (buffalo) with a 30-06

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bison (buffalo) with a 30-06

Old 11-25-2012, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by finnbear
Key word here BOVINE!!!! yeah they will run amok....or just stand there...as the buffalo killers of old soon learned!!!
Bovine don't always just stand there as you say. I myself had the luxury of being nailed in the back by a bovine, of the holstein variety. I have a feeling if you talk to any of the real hunters of some of the bison's cousin, ie cape buffalo, they will laugh at your notion that bovine just stand there and get shot, and never charge. I have sat on my motorcycle and watched bison start moving towards us, with no fear at all of a loud harley running, and nearly run us over. Your assertion that bovines will just stand there idle when a threat is present is silly. I can say, with out a shadow of a doubt, you have read plenty of cowboy and indian books, but haven't been around bovine critters very much, let alone really hunted them. I'll challenge you to go over to accuratereloading, and talk that sillyness. It'll be good entertainment,lol.

There is a big difference between how the merchant hunters killed off game, and how we, as responsible hunters, hunt.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

The 30-06 is a versatile cartridge. However, we must remember to use a bullet designed for the game we are hunting. IF i was going to use a 30-06 for buffalo, I would use a 200 or 220 gr bullet designed for hunting large bears. However, you need to have a barrel with a rate of twist that is able to stabilize these heavier bullets. I also would not be shooting a buffalo at 250 yards with a 30-06.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:51 PM
RMA
Fork Horn

I shot mine with a 7MM in the heart he was topling after first shot but hit him again for good measure fell dead straight down on his legs
Old 12-07-2012, 06:07 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by country1
... IF i was going to use a 30-06 for buffalo, I would use a 200 or 220 gr bullet designed for hunting large bears...
Originally Posted by country1
...I also would not be shooting a buffalo at 250 yards with a 30-06...
I agree. I have a 30-06 hand-load using 220gr RN for larger animals. I've determined that my cartridge looses the advantage of the heavier bullet at 300 yards. It is a short range cartridge.