Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
So is it true? Lack of deer >

So is it true? Lack of deer

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
View Poll Results: The reason
wolves
25.00%
too many conversation people
0%
too many celeb "hunters" - fools that shoot at anything
16.67%
too many animals previous years / overgrazing of fields
8.33%
other
33.33%
what am I talking about? more deer than ever
16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

So is it true? Lack of deer

Old 11-15-2012, 06:39 AM
Spike

Default So is it true? Lack of deer

Couldn't think of where else to post this.

Anyways, I've decided to get back into hunting [after waylaid for about 3 years - car accident] and thinking to try deer and sheep. I used to hunt predators but want to try something new.

Got one question.

Most of my friends who hunt deer and sheep claim that there isn't enough animals.

Or at the very least you got to look harder for the real prize animals.

You research anything on the web and ya get bunch of worthless idea. Google 'crap' engine more like it. Some scientists say there's too many animals even.

Have you guys found it harder to find animals?
Old 11-15-2012, 08:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

deer/elk before wolves in an area...

then introduce wolves...

come back a decade later and 1/3 the amount of deer/elk, hmmm?
what caused such a drop?

could be a # of things, but wolves eat elk/deer, so to say wolves haven't reduced elk/deer #'s how could that be the case?

especially in areas where there were no wolves before and now there are...
Old 11-15-2012, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

There seem to be some aspects of your post that don't compute. What state are you from? As far as I know hunting sheep -- anywhere with the possible exception of Alaska -- is a rare privilege and not something to expect to do every year. There are not many sheep in the lower 48 PERIOD.

By definition "really prize" animals are rare. A prize animal is defined as being upper 90% rack, upper 95% rack, upper 99% rack, or whatever standard you prefer. Hence, "really prize" animals are few in number.

What state do you live in and what state do you wish to hunt in and when? What predators did you hunt when you hunted before and what was your method, generally, of hunting them? Why is your second post a poll such as this?
Old 11-15-2012, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

as other poster stated,
you left out lots of variables,
locations vary,
time frame, comparing this season to last season? to 5 yrs ago? 20 yrs ago?
ones own experiences, i have seen less deer out, then again i havent been out this year.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:17 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Alsatian
There seem to be some aspects of your post that don't compute. What state are you from? As far as I know hunting sheep -- anywhere with the possible exception of Alaska -- is a rare privilege and not something to expect to do every year. There are not many sheep in the lower 48 PERIOD.

By definition "really prize" animals are rare. A prize animal is defined as being upper 90% rack, upper 95% rack, upper 99% rack, or whatever standard you prefer. Hence, "really prize" animals are few in number.

What state do you live in and what state do you wish to hunt in and when? What predators did you hunt when you hunted before and what was your method, generally, of hunting them? Why is your second post a poll such as this?
...Deleted by CalHunter...

I have never hunted deer... as stated from the beginning... ...Deleted by CalHunter...

As far as I know hunting sheep -- anywhere with the possible exception of Alaska...

My state, Colorado if you must know.

When do I wish to hunt - obviously legally. ...Deleted by CalHunter... So when would be on the seasons.

I've hunted since I was 12, boy, with my grandfather whom was native american. I probably hunt far better than you. After all certified tracker for the local S&R when they need someone to track down. If you want it simple you can relate me to that fool Terry Grant.

Predators do you want just North America or elsewhere? I've hunted on more than this country after all.

NA
wolf
bear
cougar

Russia
wolf
black bear

Africa
lion
leopard
I even hunted hippos. Now that was frightening.

How do I hunt?

I track my animals. I've been out in the bush for weeks on the end. ...Deleted by CalHunter...

Why is my second post this sort?

Well if you could read you'd see I say I haven't hunted in 3 years... so not much to brag about is there.

Last edited by CalHunter; 11-17-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:23 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Terasec
as other poster stated,
you left out lots of variables,
locations vary,
time frame, comparing this season to last season? to 5 yrs ago? 20 yrs ago?
ones own experiences, i have seen less deer out, then again i havent been out this year.

Last edited by CalHunter; 11-17-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

What I see is dramatically lower deer populations in California. Reasons are --

- mountain lions

- too many hunters licensed and tagged to hunt

- drought in the Western states in 2012
Old 11-15-2012, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

PintoDeerHunter for a name, and you've never hunting for deer?

You've got a real bad attitude for someone asking for help. You really didn't give any info in your first post.

As was stated. Getting a sheep tag takes years. Deer tags in good units are not easy either.

Elk is your best bet.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:05 PM
Fork Horn

Last edited by CalHunter; 11-17-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:27 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
PintoDeerHunter for a name, and you've never hunting for deer?
It's a joke darling, as I intend to bag one piebalded deer before I quit hunting for good.

Originally Posted by finnbear
...Deleted by CalHunter... Don't make me laugh.

As for my granddad, yeah he was a good hunter. Didn't say great - ...Deleted by CalHunter...

So for poaching. We own 250 acres of ranch land. Outright - no mortgage. ...Deleted by CalHunter...

Last edited by CalHunter; 11-17-2012 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Rules # 3--Insulting other members

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.